Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased a set of the Bose earbud headphones and I must say they are great. They include 3 different sets of silicon covers that are small, medium, and large. First off I can finally ride without my right earpiece falling out every time I look left for traffic. secondly I can actually hear the lower half of the frequency range while riding and listening to music. theyre $99 and damn well worth it. just thought id throw that out there

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah I had a pair of badass ear buds but the problem is they were too good. They would cancel out any external noise so I couldn't hear traffic when I rode. Now I just listen to the hum of the road so I can hear that crazy broad in a mini van beating her children while swerving across multiple lanes of traffic.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
i went with shure and only looked back to get another pair of shures. I have to say that everyone I've spoken to that has the bose in-ears likes them. For most it's probably the most they've plunked down for headphones though. Noise cancelling earbuds and road cycling are like tapdancing and mine fields though.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The earbuds from bose dont noise cancel. They make on ear and around ear headphones with the noise cancelling, those have microphones in the earpieces that listen to ambient noise and then cancel them. They however mainly reduce low frequencies which helps out for safety.... not that id wear giant headphones on a ride anyways. none the less with my earbuds i tend to hear the traffic better because since they fit so well I dont have to crank my ipod just to hear the song. By the way placebo shure makes great stuff and id say that you made a good choice with those..... ive used their mics for years being in bands and their reliability is simply great.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I like my moto S9's. Fantastic sound. I can change tracks or pause (when I get into traffic) by hitting a button on my right ear. I can also answer calls ride, though the wind noise does make it a bit hard for the caller!

·
yup
2,739 Posts
Dr. Placebo said:
i went with shure and only looked back to get another pair of shures. I have to say that everyone I've spoken to that has the bose in-ears likes them. For most it's probably the most they've plunked down for headphones though. Noise cancelling earbuds and road cycling are like tapdancing and mine fields though.
I am on my second pair. I wear them during my commute sometimes.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont think bose blows, i just think theyre very misunderstood. theyre systems are designed to give you the best sound you can get for a very discrete system that is fully user capable. that means the whole family, as in the wife and kids too. they dont claim to have the best sound period. I use outlaw audio and kef in my home system but thats because i dont mind large towers and i know how to work all of my stuff. if i was a regular joe with a wife and kids and needed a system that didnt take over my family room and was user friendly than id probably go with bose

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bose is really overpriced for what you get. I can recommend the V-Moda Vibes as good IEM's(in ear monitor). They have a port open to the outside, and still allow you to hear what's happening around you. My only complaint is the bass is a little bloated, and overpowering at times.

·
Registered
219 Posts
eldarko said:
Bose is really overpriced for what you get. I can recommend the V-Moda Vibes as good IEM's(in ear monitor). They have a port open to the outside, and still allow you to hear what's happening around you. My only complaint is the bass is a little bloated, and overpowering at times.
ditto.

i spent $20 on ebay (new) for sennheiser es-300's.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
Also anyone looking for a pair of earphones may like to look at ultimate ears. It's my understanding some of them are a touch bass heavy and that probably makes them fun to listen to. Most people tend towards bass heavy sound reproduction or equate bass heavy transducers to higher quality. I know my Shure's are spooky neutral. As in sometimes I hear new sounds on older music in my collection and freak out thinking something is going on around me. That said I haven't tried any ultimate ears product personally.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Oh man. I use the cheapest pair I can find. This time around, they're just the cheapo iPod earbuds that come with the iPod.

The more expensive they get, the more they cancel out, or muffle outside noise-- which to me, seems like a pretty bad idea.

Also, I've come up with an intricate way of wrapping it around my helmet straps so it doesn't fall out when I turn my head. Instead, it pulls on the helmet strap rather than the bud itself.

Plus I feel horrible when they get ruined from sweat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What headphones (in ear, or out) are better at blocking wind noise? I've tried a few, but in each case, I would have had to turn the music up too loud to mask it. I used to work on jets in the military, so I want to keep as much of my hearing as possible. Would most likely only use them on longer bike paths and not so much in traffic.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.