Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 9 this morning my phone rings, it is my baby girl. She is in Boston this week for a Astro Physics/ Astronomy conference. She is presenting a project representing her university. I asked what was up...nothing....just wanted some company, you got time to talk?....YOU BET.

She was walking from the hotel to the conference (about 2 miles) and was giving me the tour. She is TOTALLY amazed by the architecture and age of the buildings. Here, a 100 years is OLD..there...not so much. She told be it reminded her of "This Old House"..lol

She was so excited, she is meeting all kinds of professors and contacts from all over the world and has re-kindled her enthusiasm for the field (considering she just finished finals.... well, you get it)

One of the professors she spent some time with yesterday at a seminar happens to be on staff at Texas A&M where she will be working this summer.....He knows ALL about the project she will be working on and the people she will be working with.

It makes a dad feel good to hear his kids so excited about stuff.....

Makes me glad I always told all my kids....you CAN do anything you want to!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Posts like this make me realize how much I take for granted every time I get into Boston. Living within an hour of Boston pretty much all my life, it all seems normal. Funny that to me living here, 100 -200 year old architecture seems common, but to someone from the west it would be very old. I was blown away when I went to England, and stood under a 1200 y/o Yew tree in front of a 900 y/o church.

It's all about perspective - nice that your daughter is able to see and appreciate the sights.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
That's nice.

yeah, I live and work right in Boston and really enjoy just walking around. Even after like 20 years it's still interesting sometimes.

She probably wouldn't have seen the North End walking from any hotel to a conference. So if she doesn't have any dinner plans maybe mention that to her. It's an old historical neighborhood full of Italian restaurants. Beacon Hill is really nice too.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am from PA originally and the town I was raised in was founded in the mid 1770's......WI wasn't even invented then!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's nice.

yeah, I live and work right in Boston and really enjoy just walking around. Even after like 20 years it's still interesting sometimes.

She probably wouldn't have seen the North End walking from any hotel to a conference. So if she doesn't have any dinner plans maybe mention that to her. It's an old historical neighborhood full of Italian restaurants. Beacon Hill is really nice too.
Not sure where she is staying but i am assuming dinner this evening will be with her colleagues and the like.......Kinda nice of the University to pick up the whole tab huh?....(including airfare)

She flew out with a stop over in Detroit, I had told her to make damned sure she had Pink Floyd cued up on her ipod for the moving psychedelic walkway....LOL.....she called me IMMEDIATELY after she got off of it...

She is a really good kid........

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
You are a blessed father. Nice that she calls you out of the blue just to chat.

I get a laugh here in Boulder when the Historic Commission starts talking about including post-war Levittown type homes in an Historic Neighborhood designation. :rolleyes:

Growing up, I used to play little league a foul ball away from a log cabin built in 1699 by the grandfather of a Declaration of Independence signer. Amazing stuff.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Yup - North End is a fun place to walk around (Definitely get a cannoli or 6 at Mike’s Pastry) – I think Paul Rever’s house is in the North End too and it’s a great place to people watch. I work in downtown Beantown and live less than 4 miles away. The place definitely prides itself on intelligence. Lots of nerds and geeks round here. If she rides, she can rent a bike and go for a casual ride along the Charles River or contact Urban Adventures for a biking tour of the city, there are also tours on those Segway things.

Faneuil Hall has outdoor performers and lots of pubs where the Fathers of the Revolution met to discuss plans (blue dragon tavern is one). She can also do the Commons (oldest public park in US – they used to hang people there), hop on and off trolley tour or duck tour, bunches of cruises (whale watching, etc.), rent a kayak and go out on the Charles, go shopping at the Pru (Prudential building) or walk the freedom trail if she has time – tons of stuff to do.

Your girl sounds nice, hope my boy grows up to be like that.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Tell her to call me if she needs anything.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tell her to call me if she needs anything.
you have a 21 to 25 year old son?....LOL.......oh wait, you just have daughters right?.......naw I shouldn't do that, she has a boyfriend, nice guy, serious student, hard working kid...math major.........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....I got a 28 year old son...... only ONE of your girls is out of circulation right?

PDex........lemme tell you the 10 to 16 year old slot wasn't a picnic....now she calls me a couple of times a week just to talk. She called me one night, freshman year crying.."daddy, I don't understand my calculus....."

The understanding dad i am responded, "then you're an idiot...........because you called ME"

She sobbed...."no, I don't want help, I want a shoulder to cry on"

To which I responded..."call me back after you get help"

Gotta keep em grounded....lol (and she spent a BIT of time grounded in high school!)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just stopping by to add a couple of tags...
behave yourself...I hear you spent some time up at Stevens Point, I MAY know someone you KNOW!......hehehehehehe....after all, she will be the third graduate from point next year.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
I got a 28 year old son...... only ONE of your girls is out of circulation right?
Correct :D

And the one that isn't did a century when she was 15...........

·
Frog Whisperer
40,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correct :D

And the one that isn't did a century when she was 15...........

then there is very little chance my boy could catch her......ok....so NO chance....
too bad.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts