Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a work trip to Boston in May the Thurs/Fri of the weekend prior to Memorial Day, so we're thinking of throwing the toddler into a carry-on and heading down to make a weekend of it (May 18-22).

I'm looking at hotels, and about bust an artery. Nothing, and I mean *nothing* in the downtown area (Boston Common up to the water) is coming in at less than $400/night! Is this right? Is there something spectacular happening that weekend that I"m the last to know about - Kanye West coming east? Or do I have some cookie in my browser that tells them I'm their kind of sucker? Maybe they can see that I post in teh lownje and they just don't want me there.

Even NYC is more reasonable.

FWIW, I'm coming from Toronto, so I can pay in maple syrup if that helps. No, I won't take Justin Bieber back with me - he's all yours now.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...that was my wife's suggestion as well. With the $CDN exchange and taxes, etc, hotels would push north of $2k for the weekend which is not in the cards.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you have to stay in the commons area it's gonna cost a bunch. If you are willing to go a little outside of that area it gets much cheaper. One of my favorite hotels is the Harborside Inn across the street from the Faneuil Hall Marketplace area. A quick check of the rates shows $139/night in that time frame. One warning - they have NO parking. They use the ramp across the street and it runs $32/24 hours. I usually never get a car in Boston and rely on either cabs or the T to get around.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I stayed with my family at The Boxer a couple of years ago in the summer. I remember the same issue. Downtown hotels, like any big city, are gonna be real pricey in the summer. Boxer was nice enough, about a 30 minute walk to all the stuff, pretty close to the T.

We had traveled elsewhere in New England, drove to the hotel, then I returned rental car and we took the T out to the airport to go home.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. AirBnb isn't any better for pricing at that time, and since we would have Little Miss with us we would want to be closer to where we would spend the days. I'm not averse to paying more for a downtown hotel if it's worth it/excellent hotel, etc. However $400/night for a Holiday Inn is most definitely not worth it, and is out of line for what I've seen in Toronto, NYC, or even Paris. I'd love to see Boston but not that badly. Since this was an opportunistic trip anyway and there will be other chances, we're going to look another time.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Boston is a walking city - even the Harborside Inn that I mentioned is easy walking distance to the Commons (maybe 8 blocks) and there are interesting things along the way, like a cemetery that has Mother Goose buried there among some other famous people, and the site of the Boston Massacre. It is also near the New England Aquarium on the wharf.

What specific sites do you want to see?

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at that one - their web site was quoting me in the $400s as well. Other people have mentioned other rates, so I'm not sure if they are based on some algorithm factoring in where you are, or other invisible browsing information.

We only quickly looked at some things to do, as the idea came up night before last. Our little one is 3, so the Children's Museum was on the list, aquarium probably, some time in the Commons burning off some energy. Hadn't thought too much more about it. We do like to eat in nice restaurants when we go places like this, though that's harder with our daughter. I have a cookbook I quite like from the owner of Oleana in Cambridge, so may want to give that a go.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I've spend a lot of time doing biz in Boston over the last 30 years. Never ever stay at downtown hotels. You are much better off, in every way, staying out of town. It's only a 10-15 minute car ride depending on where you stay. One of the best public parking spots, if you drive, is under the underground garage at the Boston Common. But I recommend you stay in the western suburbs, and take the T in. There's a big T station with a huge parking lot in Auburndale section of Newton off 128.
This is the hotel we use when my wife runs Boston - free parking, free breakfast currently under $200 / night. And it's in a nice section near the Natick Mall.
Hampton Inn Boston-Natick Hotel

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Some hostels have family rooms - I stayed at Boston Fenway Inn a few years ago. It is near Fenway Park, and the nearby convention center, which was where I had business. There is a subway stop a block down the road and across the street.

From there, I had one full day for being a tourist, and walked to Boston Commons, and on to North End. It all seemed relatively safe.

Biking all of this would be primo.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Is $400 Canadian or American money? If Canadian, yeah, that sounds about right. But you should be able to get something less than $400 American.

Check priceline and those type bidding sites.

Also check the Midtown hotel. I just went in and checked May 18 and it was $211 American. It's not the greatest hotel but it's not a dump either and is in a very good location.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is $400 Canadian or American money? If Canadian, yeah, that sounds about right. But you should be able to get something less than $400 American.

Check priceline and those type bidding sites.

Also check the Midtown hotel. I just went in and checked May 18 and it was $211 American. It's not the greatest hotel but it's not a dump either and is in a very good location.
Yes, that was Canadian pricing, and doesn't include taxes, etc.. That price for the Midtown comes out to nearly C$350 with taxes/exchange rate, which I'm not willing to pay for that place - I've stayed in a suite at the Shangri-La for that price using some of the discount sites.

We've decided the trip isn't going to happen this time around. There will be other ones for her to see clients, so we'll reconsider another time. Last-minute rates across the board also seem to be far more in line with reality, so that may be an option as well.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I went to college there and my wife's from there. We spend a lot of time there and yes, it has gotten expensive, particularly during peak weekends which unfortunately is one of yours. We usually go up there 4x a year and since I'm no longer on expense account, cheapest is best.

Check the Omni Parker and the the Boston Park Plaza (just checked and it's under $300/night). The latter has a slightly better location than the Omni. I prefer the Boston Park, she's old and not modern but the beds are good and is the location.

If you're bringing a car, definitely use one of the online parking apps to find the cheapest parking as street parking is limited on a good day. Room rates vary and change quickly in the area. The Pru area hotels are usually top price although the Sheraton can have decent deals. Kenmore Square is another option and the Boston Hotel Buckminter is worth looking at unless the Red Sox are at home. Good luck and don't give up.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I went to college there and my wife's from there. We spend a lot of time there and yes, it has gotten expensive, particularly during peak weekends which unfortunately is one of yours. We usually go up there 4x a year and since I'm no longer on expense account, cheapest is best.

Check the Omni Parker and the the Boston Park Plaza (just checked and it's under $300/night). The latter has a slightly better location than the Omni. I prefer the Boston Park, she's old and not modern but the beds are good and is the location.

If you're bringing a car, definitely use one of the online parking apps to find the cheapest parking as street parking is limited on a good day. Room rates vary and change quickly in the area. The Pru area hotels are usually top price although the Sheraton can have decent deals. Kenmore Square is another option and the Boston Hotel Buckminter is worth looking at unless the Red Sox are at home. Good luck and don't give up.
Looks like OP isn't going. I like Omni Parker House location, but my actual "old charm" room faced a brick wall, it was noisy, the bathroom out of a Super 6 motel, elevator ungodly slow, etc. But it was a nice change from the new boutique joints I usually stay in. I lived in Boston for 3 years and normally stay with friends, but last trip wanted to do it totally different. Got a good price on hotwire or whatever, I forget. Came out to about $300/night. I won't stay at Parker House again, but it was a fun trip. Oh, the so-called famous Boston Creme Pie is downstairs in the gift shop and it's $9 for a slice. Big slice, but still "boston price", ha.

·
Registered
942 Posts
wow, that's a pretty big job for one person.....
Well, not like Honey Fitz used to run Boston...
And she qualifies, not a charity runner.

My favorite cheap stay in the Boston area is one of 2 Red Roof inns off the Mass Pike. You can get online rates as low as $59/ night.
For me it beats getting up at 4AM to *maybe* make an 8 AM biz meeting. In late, out early.
I also used to live in the Boston area, the downtown area has gotten a bit out of control price wise as investment/ financial companies moved in from NY. And now GE is moving their corporate HQ there.

·
Non non normal
10,101 Posts
I've spend a lot of time doing biz in Boston over the last 30 years. Never ever stay at downtown hotels. You are much better off, in every way, staying out of town. It's only a 10-15 minute car ride depending on where you stay. One of the best public parking spots, if you drive, is under the underground garage at the Boston Common. But I recommend you stay in the western suburbs, and take the T in. There's a big T station with a huge parking lot in Auburndale section of Newton off 128.
This is the hotel we use when my wife runs Boston - free parking, free breakfast currently under $200 / night. And it's in a nice section near the Natick Mall.
Hampton Inn Boston-Natick Hotel

^^^^^^This right here. Find a nice suburb like Newton or Braintree. Stay near the T and take the subway into downtown. You can't drive in the downtown area anyway with all the traffic unless it is Sunday.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts