Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I bought this frame a while ago with the intent of 'restoring' it with 1989 vintage parts. I looked around the usual sources ( craigslist, on-line classifieds, etc) trying to find some Campy parts. In my quest to find 'vintage' campy parts... I have found that a full group is pretty hard to find, I really need to piece it together and I really do not know what campy parts were appropriate in 1989, so I am a little lost. I would like to put a record group on it but again not that easy to find a full group and pretty pricey if I can.

I have always run Shimano and have DA on my other bike. I really want to try the 'other side of the tracks' and see what I am missing, if anything.

My question is , is this frame worth all the time and trouble to invest in cobbling an appropriate group together? Should I just grab a late model campy group and put it on ? Should I just throw shimano parts on it?

Should I bother to build the frame back up??

What do you guys think?

tried to post pic, but do not see them in post-preview

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
That is an 80's bike alright with the paint. Do you like the frame? Do you want to build it up and ride it? If you build it up, you can always sell it off later. That looks like a pretty big frame, what size is it?

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
When building my Colnago I lucked out because I had all the components from a bike that I had bought previously that was period correct. When I assembled my Guerciotti, I decided to go neo-retro and hang a modern indexed drivetrain system on it. I came to the realisation that these two bikes now serve almost completely different purposes for me: the Guerciotti, having brake-shifters, is ridden more, especially in the city because I don't need to take my hands off of the handlebars to shift and the dual-pivot brakes have incredible braking power compared to the single-pivot brakes on the Colnago. This leaves me thinking that the Guerciotti is a better bike for group rides and commuting because of the safety factor. The Colnago, however, is my fair weather nice sunny day solo ride bike. The downtube shifters are a bit slower to shift, I'm more prone to staying in a gear longer as a result, and the brakes are not as powerful despite having Kool Stop salmon pads all around as well as hand-made caliper return springs (the original springs are stiff enough to make anything more than leisurely braking impossible).

My point? What do you plan on doing with the bike? Are you are going to ride it a lot in an urban environment or in group rides? If so then I would suggest that you go with modern components. If you want a nice bike that is going to be a more casual riding experience and the retro theme is a goal, then go with period correct components.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I live in a suburban area so mostly this bike will be a solo ride bike to serve as a 'break' from my main, everyday bike. Every once in a while I like to ride something different to mix it up and help with motivation. Mostly I just want to ride it and period correct may be a 'luxury' that I will work toward in future.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
gcamp said:
I do like the frame, Not so sure about the paint but...... It is a size 62cm frame.
I am 6'4" so it should fit well.
Thought so about the size. I think you should build it up. Could be fun getting the parts together for it.

·
Worker Ant
199 Posts
i remember those being outfitted with Mavic bits for the team and a local shop was carrying them and they were outfitted with Campy. for what it's worth.. i always liked the looks of the Mavic stuff.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Seeing that Lemond pic brings back memories.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Here is my Bottecchia ADR bike. It's a 63cm frame C-C. It's made with SPX (the heavier guage version of SLX made for large framesets). I had only frame set so I built it up with stuff that I know would work well so that it would be fun to ride. It's set up with Shimano 9 Speed - Dura Ace shifters with SRAM Rival 180mm cranks, Dura Ace brakes, 3TTT 110mm stem, Nitto 176 bars, Nitto seatpost, Toupe saddle, Open Pro rims, Pro2Race tires. It's heavy but it is a great riding/handling bike and I have a really fun time riding it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Generally you would be looking at a 3TTT stem and a Cinelli handlebar. Selle Italia Gel saddle and the seat posts would be anywhere from Campagnolo to Rino brand. In the late 80's and early 90's they offered a bike that had all Shimano 600 stuff which could be an option for you if you did not want to go with Campagnolo.

Campagnolo Veloce equipment would be more affordable than the Record stuff as well and was used by Bottecchia in the early 90's but I am not sure if it was available in 89.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Johnny Alien said:
Generally you would be looking at a 3TTT stem and a Cinelli handlebar. Selle Italia Gel saddle and the seat posts would be anywhere from Campagnolo to Rino brand. In the late 80's and early 90's they offered a bike that had all Shimano 600 stuff which could be an option for you if you did not want to go with Campagnolo.

Campagnolo Veloce equipment would be more affordable than the Record stuff as well and was used by Bottecchia in the early 90's but I am not sure if it was available in 89.

why not 3t bars? or cinelli stem? during that timeframe, cinelli was still 26.4

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Another option that's more or less period correct is Sachs New Success. Had some. While not the lightest stuff on the planet, it was robust.

M

·
Registered
2 Posts
Original group - ADR Replica

Hi,

I actually have this exact bike with all the stock components from 89 that I am planning to work on. Check out my thread (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=173804). At least my bike (the Columbus SL version) came with the then newly released graphite Athena group with a Chorus seat post. Please let me know if you need any additional details.

I'm thinking about stripping and repainting the frame to the classic Bottecchia color scheme (red/white or black/white). Since you also have this frame - do you think that would be a shame to do? Is the ADR Replica a collector's item?

Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
sellout said:
Hi,

I actually have this exact bike with all the stock components from 89 that I am planning to work on. Check out my thread (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=173804). At least my bike (the Columbus SL version) came with the then newly released graphite Athena group with a Chorus seat post. Please let me know if you need any additional details.

I'm thinking about stripping and repainting the frame to the classic Bottecchia color scheme (red/white or black/white). Since you also have this frame - do you think that would be a shame to do? Is the ADR Replica a collector's item?

Thanks
If your intent is to someday sell this bike then the original paint is far more valuable than a respray, especially when the original paint is very good to start with. The classic red/white/chrome or black/white/chrome is beautiful, but to get it done right be prepared to spend at least $600 or more. Personally I love the ADR paint scheme and I believe it would be a collectible because of Lemond's miraclulous win in '89.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.