Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum... regards to all... apologies for starting a new threa for those of you who might have discussed the subject already. (I have already seen a couple of related posts.)

I own a Bottecchia SLX from 1988/1989, got it just before LeMond's Tour win. It came with beautiful chrome lug work but a poor paint job... black matte, no clearcoat, exposed decals. Needless to say after 17 years of use, the paint and decals look pretty shabby.

It has such a classic look, among the last of a special breed, that I want to preserve it. I looked into having it repainted a couple or years back, but got scared off by the cost (around $700-800 to do it right). Now I am thinking of it again. A couple of the national paint shops seem to have done one or more. Any good experiences with restoring a Bottecchia out there?

Attaching a photo from a couple of years back.

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
Joe Bell, Brian Baylis

....are among the best. I believe the latter has some long wait times which could be a problem is that's your only bike. Both have restored and or repainted the best bikes in the world so doing your B. wouldn't be extraordinary for them. There are others as well, such as Cycleart. Good luck, beautiful bike.

BTW, if you search on theis forum under Bottecchia you'll find a photo of a white and red one that is probably one of the best looking bikes that has graced these pages....

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
Or right now in the Bikes, Frames, Forks forum, under Show Us Your Italian. JaeP has a frame, and Duke249 has two (yes they are different) complete bikes.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,015 Posts
Bottecchia decal info

I have a similar Bottecchia in red and white. I'm curious to know if your "Bottecchia" decals are press-on vinyl letters, because mine are. Someone else on this board said that this was quite common but most of the Bottecchia's I've seen have cursive letters under a clearcoat. Anyway. . . .

Joe Bell is the best, and a nice guy to boot. (I'm a little prejudiced since he painted three of my bikes. Even his most inexpensive one-color paint jobs are spectacular). To restore your paint scheme to better than new is indeed pricey but you'll love the results. After you get it back you just might want to hang it on a wall and put a frame around it. Once again, Joe Bell is the best.

Here's a pic

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JoeP:
The "bottecchia" decals on mine are exposed press-on, the same as yours. There is no clear coat at all, and the black on the top and downtube has a matte finish. The decals have not stood up well.

As you mention, I have seen others that are better finished, with protected decals. I think ours were a passing exception that did not work out well. On the upside, I figured that I got a price break way back then that put a great bike within my reach in the first place.

If, or rather, when I get it refinished, I'll make some changes. At first I thought of going with entirely different colors of my choice. Lately I've been more inclined to stick to traditional B colors, but will likely opt for the red/white rather than black/white, and for cursive decals rather than block letters.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've got an '89 Bottecchia that I will probably get refinished in the near future. For me JaeP's Bottechia is THE perfect Bottecchia color combo including the block letters. I love that look. My 1989 Tour De France video shows the ADR team riders riding that color scheme with block letters. Also, I have a lot of other videos that show Bottecchia's ridden by other teams and they all have the block letters.

·
Banned
476 Posts
i prefer

i like the look of the older Bottecchia road bikes than the look of the current bikes

but i guess to be fair, i prefer the look for older bikes in general to newer bikes

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
collectorvelo said:
i like the look of the older Bottecchia road bikes than the look of the current bikes

but i guess to be fair, i prefer the look for older bikes in general to newer bikes
almost everyhing old looks better doesn't it? even women.. what about cars? sixties aston martins, mini coopers, jags, mercs, bmws.. fountain pens, rolex, mido, patek phillippe, marlon brando, gina lollobrigida, the flattiron building..

·
Registered
498 Posts
That is beautiful. Do you know what he did? Eg,

strip (how?)
fill damage if any?
Base coats?
etc?

I ask as I live in New Zealand and will be doing my own restoration projects on two bikes, and sending to the US for painting just isnt an option at all.

Thanks.

-Chris

PS plus I want to learn and get better at painting bikes

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
They are being sold by an outfit in Texas, and can only be sold in the USA. I don't know for sure, but it sure seems like BikesDirect is involved somehow. I think they have as much relationship to the Bottecchias in this thread as the Motobecanes that BD sells have to the bikes from the 70s and 80s.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The classic Bottecchias were made in Italy by Carnielli. I believe they also built the first Lemond bike. They are not around any more.

·
Registered
717 Posts
....are among the best. I believe the latter has some long wait times which could be a problem is that's your only bike. Both have restored and or repainted the best bikes in the world so doing your B. wouldn't be extraordinary for them. There are others as well, such as Cycleart. Good luck, beautiful bike.

BTW, if you search on theis forum under Bottecchia you'll find a photo of a white and red one that is probably one of the best looking bikes that has graced these pages....
Speaking of reviving an old thread....

Here is my 1989 Bottecchia SLX. I've had her since she was new. :thumbsup:

·
Carless
288 Posts
I have a similar Bottecchia in red and white. I'm curious to know if your "Bottecchia" decals are press-on vinyl letters, because mine are. Someone else on this board said that this was quite common but most of the Bottecchia's I've seen have cursive letters under a clearcoat. Anyway. . . .

Joe Bell is the best, and a nice guy to boot. (I'm a little prejudiced since he painted three of my bikes. Even his most inexpensive one-color paint jobs are spectacular). To restore your paint scheme to better than new is indeed pricey but you'll love the results. After you get it back you just might want to hang it on a wall and put a frame around it. Once again, Joe Bell is the best.

Here's a pic
Holy crap, that is one good looking frame:blush2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts