Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about buying a bike from the LBS or off the internet. First, I am very mechanical and repair all my own vehicles. I shouldn't have any problems working on a bicycle. Second, I haven't had a very good experience as far as sizing goes at 3 different bike shops. One was out of town and the other two were in town. At the first lbs, I said that I was interested in an entry level bike. The guy showed me their only bike. It was a Specialized Allez. I asked about sizes and he just looked at me and said that I was 56. I am about 5' 10" with 32" inseam. I was sort of shocked because of how everyone on this forum has talked about how important proper measuring is when getting a road bike. I didn't really have workout out clothes so the guy said to come back and test ride it later. Okay, the second store was out of town when I was visiting a friend. I got to test ride some Giants. I looked on the Giant site and figured that I needed a medium. The bike felt good, but when I told that guy I thought that I might need a medium, he said that was probably about right. Again no magic measuring process. The third bike shop that I went to actually measured my stand over measurement and told me that I needed a 58. They didn't really offer me to test ride a bike or anything. I went back to LBS after a few months of saving and thinking. This time a different guy showed me the Allez. I said something about different sizes and he said that was my size, medium. I rode it down the road and liked it except the shifters and how you had to move your hands to shift down a gear. They asked me how it felt, but I have no idea since I am a rookie. Nice guy, but it was the only bike they had for entry level. I went back to the other LBS and no one really acted like they wanted to help, so I left.
If I buy local I am limited to one bike. I have been looking at the Bottecchia USA (generic bikes on ebay with better components) http://cgi.ebay.com/08-BOTTECCHIA-B...ryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I really think that I get better bang for my buck off of ebay. I am starting to wonder if some people on her stress sizing way too much because these guys didn't hardly make a bid deal out of it. Will I be doomed forever if I get a 58cm frame bike of off ebay? I guess it might be more important if I rode 100+miles a week, but I figure that I will ride a couple times a week for 30 minutes to an hour. Also any frames that these bikes compare to?
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
moparjohnson said:
I have been thinking about buying a bike from the LBS or off the internet. First, I am very mechanical and repair all my own vehicles. I shouldn't have any problems working on a bicycle. Second, I haven't had a very good experience as far as sizing goes at 3 different bike shops. One was out of town and the other two were in town. At the first lbs, I said that I was interested in an entry level bike. The guy showed me their only bike. It was a Specialized Allez. I asked about sizes and he just looked at me and said that I was 56. I am about 5' 10" with 32" inseam. I was sort of shocked because of how everyone on this forum has talked about how important proper measuring is when getting a road bike. I didn't really have workout out clothes so the guy said to come back and test ride it later. Okay, the second store was out of town when I was visiting a friend. I got to test ride some Giants. I looked on the Giant site and figured that I needed a medium. The bike felt good, but when I told that guy I thought that I might need a medium, he said that was probably about right. Again no magic measuring process.
both were most likely right.


moparjohnson said:
The third bike shop that I went to actually measured my stand over measurement and told me that I needed a 58. They didn't really offer me to test ride a bike or anything.
sounds big. do you have a long torso?

moparjohnson said:
I went back to LBS after a few months of saving and thinking. This time a different guy showed me the Allez. I said something about different sizes and he said that was my size, medium. I rode it down the road and liked it except the shifters and how you had to move your hands to shift down a gear. They asked me how it felt, but I have no idea since I am a rookie. Nice guy, but it was the only bike they had for entry level. I went back to the other LBS and no one really acted like they wanted to help, so I left.
If I buy local I am limited to one bike. I have been looking at the Bottecchia USA (generic bikes on ebay with better components) http://cgi.ebay.com/08-BOTTECCHIA-B...ryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I really think that I get better bang for my buck off of ebay. I am starting to wonder if some people on her stress sizing way too much because these guys didn't hardly make a bid deal out of it. Will I be doomed forever if I get a 58cm frame bike of off ebay? I guess it might be more important if I rode 100+miles a week, but I figure that I will ride a couple times a week for 30 minutes to an hour. Also any frames that these bikes compare to?
you do realize that the "bottechia" will most likely have the same levers that you didn't like on the specialized, right?
 

·
i like whiskey
Joined
·
8,493 Posts
I would not hold it against the LBS that they were able to figure out your frame size quickly. They do it every single day. The guys at the shop have put 100's of people on bikes. When a guy who is 5'10" walks in, he's pretty much going on a medium/56cm unless he's got very odd proportions. You don't need some elaborate measuring process to know that. Heck, you figured it out after one visit to the Giant website.

The "fit" people talk about is more of a refinement of position ON the frame, as opposed to the actual frame itself. If you decide to buy either the Giant or Specialized, then they will put it up on a trainer and get you on the bike. They will then adjust saddle height, saddle setback, knee-over-pedal position, and maybe reach, bar height, and lever position.

All that said, I'd try and find a few more LBS to visit. Even if it's out of town. Entry level road bikes should be the bread and butter of any shop, so eventually you'll find one who has a bunch of different bikes you can try and has service you like. When you find that, buy the bike from them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
I'm not on either side of the LBS vs Internet subject, I worked for bike shops for 8 years and I also order parts online these days (as I can work on all my stuff). I would have no problem buying a bike from an online retailer like BikesDirect, Ibex, or Fezzari because they are established retailers with solid reputations. The problem I see with the Bottecchia USA is that they have no established retailer. Their "US Distributor" is an e-bay store...that seems super sketchy. The bike itself looks like your typical Taiwan bike (much like the Motobecane, Mercier, and Dawes sold on BikesDirect) that producers like Kinesis produce. I'm sure its good quality, but again what if you have an issue? Is an e-bay seller really going to cover you.

BTW-Unless you have a really long torso, a 58cm is more than likely going to be too big. The bike shops were probably pretty right, a 56cm would fit 90% of guys 5'10" tall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
It kind of looked that way

Dave Hickey said:
Bottecchia USA is a Bikes Direct brand.......the eBay store is a relative of Mike....
It looked like a similar bike as the Motobecane...I love how they say they are the "exclusive" distributor of Bottecchia bikes in the US...as if these bikes have anything to do with the classic Italian Bottecchia bikes (the same thing they do with Motobecane, Windsor, Mercier, and Dawes).

No matter, I've seen several of the new Motobecanes and they look well built.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top