Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About six months ago the front bottle cage of my racebike started to rattle. The guy at the LBS shook his head and said: "This is not good."
The top screw of the bottle cage was loose and simply thightening it was apparently impossible. He tried to repair it with glue and it worked for a couple of months, but then the bottle cage started to rattle again.
When I'm riding on bad roads the sound drives me mad.

I bought the bike (giant tcr, carbon frame) three years ago and it came with a lifetime warranty on the frame. As far as I can judge, the problem is not the result of an accident but of normal use.

Is it reasonable to ask for a new frame? I'm going to do it anyhow, but I don't know how they're going to react and I want to be reasonably sure it's a reasonable request - creating bad blood over something unreasonable is, unfortunately, not my style.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
A warranty should cause no "bad blood" with the shop. The warranty his handled through Giant. The shop would likely make a few $$ off you because most warranties, you'd be required to pay labor to swap your parts over to the new frame.

Go to the shop, tell them glue isn't an acceptable repair. Request he contact Giant and ask them how THEY would like to resolve it. They may be able to repair the insert. Which would require you sending them the frame. If they can't/or won't repair it, then they'd have to get you a new frame.

If the shop gives you a hard time, go to a different Giant dealer or contact Giant directly.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Your LBS had no idea how to tighten a loose rivnut? Scary IMO. Hopefully the glue didn't cause what should be a simple repair to now be not so simple. Just be sure there's no damage or deformation in the carbon tube where the nut is. That would indicate a different problem than a simply loose rivnut.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Just so it's clear. This is what you are dealing with. The nut is fairly soft aluminum, hence the advice to be careful.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Except that shop obviously isn't competent enough to handle it. I wouldn't trust them and would rather have Giant handle it.
I'd find a local shop that was competent. Seems like a lot of trouble to lose use of the frame for several weeks (or more) just for a rivnut repair.

Temporarily: I wonder if you took the bolt out of that loose nut, put a piece of thin closed cell foam padding (think small square of yoga mat type stuff) behind the bottle cage there, and tightened it to the frame with a zip tie instead of a bolt - yea, it's not pretty, but it might end the rattling and work fine until you can afford to send the frame in for repair, or find a competent shop to do it locally.

338 Posts
While this can be fixed, I know my LBS owner told me Giant will warranty just about anything and they're one of the easiest to work with.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While this can be fixed, I know my LBS owner told me Giant will warranty just about anything and they're one of the easiest to work with.
All, thanks for the advice.
I suspect that the carbon around the insert is damaged and that the usual tricks don't work.
I'm going to ask the LBS to stay away from the problem and let giant handle it.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
All, thanks for the advice.
I suspect that the carbon around the insert is damaged and that the usual tricks don't work.
I'm going to ask the LBS to stay away from the problem and let giant handle it.
Hopefully the fact that your shop was dumb enough to attempt gluing a rivnut won't negatively affect your chance at getting the frame covered by warranty.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Except that shop obviously isn't competent enough to handle it. I wouldn't trust them and would rather have Giant handle it.
You know, I wouldn't necessarily call the shop incompetent. They might be simply inexperienced in this situation. Granted they could be too lazy to search for it as well. I've never known how the rivnuts worked in a carbon frame until now, yet I can tension and true a wheel with the best of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts