Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to change my bottle holder last night and when I tried to screw in the new holder the screw just pushed in. Does anyone know how to fix this? Also what is the thread? I am assuming I will need to re tap the hole and replace the thread with a helicoil?

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
West End Rail said:
Went to change my bottle holder last night and when I tried to screw in the new holder the screw just pushed in. Does anyone know how to fix this? Also what is the thread? I am assuming I will need to re tap the hole and replace the thread with a helicoil?
It would depend on if your frame had brazeons or inserts. The helicoil sounds like a good solution for a braze on. I work with alot of frabrications and have not had great success using helicoils on aluminum. Sometimes it works.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Solution

I am a mechanic by trade (cars not bikes) and I have used a vey small amount of JB Weld on a toothpick to fill the area in a recessed threaded hole, let it dry (cure) drill a pilot hole JUST UNDER the size of the bolt and tap as normal. JB Weld holds sleeves in race car engines under tremendous tempuratures and loads and I know whole-heartedly it will hold a bolt securing a bottle/cage. Try it. Good luck. Mike

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man

stewardmike03 said:
I am a mechanic by trade (cars not bikes) and I have used a vey small amount of JB Weld on a toothpick to fill the area in a recessed threaded hole, let it dry (cure) drill a pilot hole JUST UNDER the size of the bolt and tap as normal. JB Weld holds sleeves in race car engines under tremendous tempuratures and loads and I know whole-heartedly it will hold a bolt securing a bottle/cage. Try it. Good luck. Mike

Great idea, I'll give it a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts