Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my pannier rack uses the same bolts as my waterbottle cages do and i want to keep it like that so one allen key does it all, but living near the beach the salt water makes them rust up pretty quick. Anyone know where i can order some stainless bolts online w/out buying cages for my rack? kthxbye

· Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Your local hardware store might have stainless bolts that will fit- probably won't be hex head, though, but you could standardize. Have you tried Google Shopping with a search like-

stainless water bottle cage bolts OR screws

14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhh "Teh GoOgle" cambriabike comes thru w/ stainless 5x10 "buttonhead" bolts

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
gutfiddle said:
ooohh yeah those are much cheaper too, what is "12.9" grade?
It denotes a certain class of strength/hardness that really is none of your concern unless you plan to stress the bolts that hold your panniers beyond human strength.

14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rogger said:
It denotes a certain class of strength/hardness that really is none of your concern unless you plan to stress the bolts that hold your panniers beyond human strength.
yeah i'm more concerned about if they will rust and i cant see where it lists if they are carbon steel or stainless:(

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Stainless steel will rust, just not as quickly as "regular" steel bolts with a higher carbon content. Titanium won't rust, but I'd think this is a bit of overkill for bottle cages, plus you then need to be careful to use antisieze on them. Our local Ace hardware store carries stainless hardware and most boat supply stores, like Boat US do to. A lot easier just to ride down on your bike and get them than to order 4 or so screws and pay the minimum shipping fees.

14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cdhbrad said:
Stainless steel will rust, just not as quickly as "regular" steel bolts with a higher carbon content. Titanium won't rust, but I'd think this is a bit of overkill for bottle cages, plus you then need to be careful to use antisieze on them. Our local Ace hardware store carries stainless hardware and most boat supply stores, like Boat US do to. A lot easier just to ride down on your bike and get them than to order 4 or so screws and pay the minimum shipping fees.
they are for my pannier rack, i'm not concerned about them being strong enough but i would like all the bolts to match so i can use one allen key wrench for them. maybe i'll look for some zinc ones. or just get regular nutz and bolts from ACE hardware.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Home Depot carries stainless fasteners...

At least around here, Home Depot and Lowe's both have stainless fasteners in the hardware section. Dunno about allen head stuff, but I used hex-head bolts to attach my rack, and they're cheap enough that you could replace a whole bike's worth for a few bucks for standardization if you want.

· Registered
657 Posts
cdhbrad said:
Stainless steel comes in different grades. A304 is the typical stuff you will find in a hardware store. It will rust in a salt water environment, but much slower then zinc galvanized steel. A316 is used in marine and medical applications and is still fairly common. I have constructed many buildings near the ocean and A316 holds up fine. A good source for hardware of all sorts is www.McMaster-Carr.com

14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
99trek5200 said:
Stainless steel comes in different grades. A304 is the typical stuff you will find in a hardware store. It will rust in a salt water environment, but much slower then zinc galvanized steel. A316 is used in marine and medical applications and is still fairly common. I have constructed many buildings near the ocean and A316 holds up fine. A good source for hardware of all sorts is www.McMaster-Carr.com
don't know why i didnt try McMaster Carr, the shop i work for orders stuff from there all the time, next delivery will have a 50 count box of A316 SS buttontop hexhead screws w/ it, werd.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I'm kind of anal about having clean bikes, and rusted bits like bolt heads make me crazy. When I clean my bikes, if there's any rust in the hex heads I put some naval jelly on them using a Qtip. After it sits for 5-10 min., I clean it off thoroughly. After it dries I apply matte finish clear nail polish to the (formerly) rusted areas. While I'm cleaning I'll probably put 2 coats on. That'll hold me for a year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.