Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, my bike has been making this odd sound, and it's very similar to a sound caused by a faulty/broken bottom bracket a few years ago (fixed by a BH shop).

I think I’m in over my head, but here goes.
1) what bottom bracket fits my BH Ultralight RC? The bike is size 54, if that matters.

2) Can I change the bottom bracket on my own?

I don't trust the shop since they insisted that the noise was caused by a faulty rear rim. I tested with another rim and the sound continued.

I'm including a sample of the noise: Audio_11_05_2022_12_41_21

Thanks

· 'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,966 Posts
Who knows? Their website apparently sucks and is so slow I'm not gonna wait for it. I didn't see an 'RC' in their current lineup of Ultralights. What year is your bike? What parts are on it? Which bottom bracket standard does it use? ALL bottom brackets use somewhat specialized tools. Threaded are generally easier than press fit. Given the questions you're asking I'm gonna say no...don't do it yourself, take it to a shop. And not the one you've been going to, they sound pretty sketchy. The site that your audio recording is on looks pretty sketchy too, I'm not opening that file.

· Registered
26,094 Posts
1) what bottom bracket fits my BH Ultralight RC? The bike is size 54, if that matters.
The size is irrelevant.
But how could anyone know what BB your bike has without knowing the model year? The Ultralight has been around for many years and has used different BB variations.

2) Can I change the bottom bracket on my own?
How could anyone know your mechanical aptitude?

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
A picture is worth 1,000 words.

As @cxwrench said, all BB's need specialized tools to remove and install them. Take the bike to a different shop, not the one that tried to blame the noise on the rear wheel.

· Registered
2,017 Posts
OP, you said in the chain thread that you have three shops within 20 miles and they all gave you bad advice or had terrible attitudes. I would recommend increasing your search radius to 50 miles. And start learning how to wrench on bikes, it’s not rocket science (apologies cx 🙂).

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
I dunno. We have quite a few shops in our metro area. It would pretty easy to find three 'bad' ones (depending on what criteria you use to define 'bad').;)
From what I can see, the 3rd shop doesn't seem like it's bad, but just the opposite. They have a long lead time because the other two shops suck, so everybody in their right mind is going to the 3rd shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts