Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike feel pretty slugish recently and I suspect it could either be the bottom bracket or the rear hub. Is there any means to discern which might be the problem? I have heard that it is possible to check the hub by spinning the wheel and seeing if it stops completely or spins backwards before stopping. Is this true? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
165 Posts
if there's a problem in either area substantial enough to be noticable when riding, my guess is that simply spinning each component (chain off of crank and wheel out of dropout) would reveal a problem that large.

it is true that for most wheels, spining it and letting it come to rest should end up with the seam of the rim at the top of the wheel - after it rotates back and forth. with the rear wheel you have to be sure to not let the chain contact the cassette or the friction from that will get in the way.

again, my feeling is that if it's such a big source of friction that it can be felt when riding, you should be able to feel it when just spining the bottom bracket or rear hub axle. i guess this assumes that you knew how they felt before it started to feel sluggish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Henry.

Anyway, it seems that the problem is not with the rear hub but the freehub if thats possible. After fine tuning the rear hub I noticed that the freehub seems to be slowing down the rear wheel signifigantly. The reason I noticed this is that when the wheel is attached to one dropout and the freehub is not engaged, the wheel will rotate perfectly. However, if I hold the cassete and thus engage the freehub the wheel quickly slows down. On top of that I can feel some roughness when I hold the cassete in place. Does this mean that I need to overhall the freehub? Maybe just lube it? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
This is all very confusing

First you tell us (or at least imply) that your bike is noticeably slower due to some sort of mechanical problem, then you tell us that the wheel spins just fine but won't spin as long with the cassette coasting. This is true of any wheel. From what I have read, there is no evidence that there is anything wrong with your bike. There may be something wrong, but you have shared nothing that would show that.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Kerry, glad to see you made it over.

reddpoint, it seriously sounds like there is nothing wrong with your bike--it's gotta be in your head. You'd have to have rocks for bearings in your bb or a seriously messed up rear hub to feel anything (you can feel play if bearings are loose, but it's hard to feel resistance). Some people won't even realize they have a brake pad rubbing against their rim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.