Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the last tool that I don't have and I'd like to be able to work on all of my bikes. My bikes use PF30, BB90, and PF92 (GXP?). Can I get just one press with different adapter cups? What's the best one for a home mechanic who will do 1-2 bottom brackets a year. Not looking to spend $200 on a tool that'll see minimal use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Wheels Manufacturing economy press is a good option its about $35 then you just get the drifts for the BB you need to work on to go with it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I got a 5/8 bolt from the hardware store, two 5/8 washers and a 5/8 nut. I think the bolt was 8 inches but it needs to have enough thread to be able to tighten the nut enough to press in the bearing. Then you can buy the appropriate adapter cup that you need. Assembled the order is bolt end - washer - bearing cup - bike bottom bracket - bearing - bearing cup - washer - nut. Slowly crank down on the nut until the bearing is in place, then repeat for the bearing on the other side. Worked great on my BB30 bike and the total cost for the bolt hardware was around $5.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
There's the Titan headset press. I've used one for a headset and it's very heavy duty. It's basically the same thing as the Park Tool HHP. It says it can also be used to install press fit bottom brackets.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looking for a universal solution myself (rather than an assortment of specialized tools), these look promising to me:

(1) System offered at eBay (apparently home made):
mtnbiker4life | eBay

(2) Wheels Mfg

However, in case you have access to the required machinery, making press-in adaptors is not rocket science. (If you're looking for a design, let me know.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts