Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed a recurring, mild tick in roughly the same spot of my revolution. My right peadl was loosened from the spindle, but was repaired, and the tick remains. its minor, but I am wondering if its a sign of BB or crank problems. Current BB and crank are FSA mega exo, which have gotten poor reviews on this site, but I can't feel any obvious exterior problem. When I had the bike in for its 60 day service after buying it, they noted some loosening of the BB but repaired it. Bike has been ridden outside about 7 miles, on trainer, about 65 hours.

Does this sound like a BB problem, will it likely get worse or dangerous, and has anyone had bad experience with the FSA mega exo BB?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I don't have any experience with FSA, but bike noises are notoriously hard to locate -- clicks that happen on every revolution tend to be the bb, cranks, clips or pedals in my experience, most likely the former two. Does it happen only under load or when you spin the pedals off the bike with the rear wheel off the ground? Try moving your feet position on the pedals when you pedal keeping pressure on (point toes in, then out, weight on left side of foot then right) or un clip one foot at a time and see if the click occurs. You can often locate it in the pedal or clip that way. If it continues the next thing that I would try is removing the cranks and reinstalling using teflon tape on the bolt and torquing to spec. If all this doesnt do away with it, its probably the bottom bracket that is the culprit-it won't cause any immediate danger, it will drive you crazy long before it gets dangerous, but you should attend to it.

b21

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
kmunny19 said:
I recently noticed a recurring, mild tick in roughly the same spot of my revolution. My right peadl was loosened from the spindle, but was repaired, and the tick remains. its minor, but I am wondering if its a sign of BB or crank problems. Current BB and crank are FSA mega exo, which have gotten poor reviews on this site, but I can't feel any obvious exterior problem. When I had the bike in for its 60 day service after buying it, they noted some loosening of the BB but repaired it. Bike has been ridden outside about 7 miles, on trainer, about 65 hours.

Does this sound like a BB problem, will it likely get worse or dangerous, and has anyone had bad experience with the FSA mega exo BB?
Sit next to your bike. Hook a thumb over the crank arm, and with your other four fingers grasp the seat tube. Squeeze. hear or feel a thunk or click? BB is loose. It's really doubtful your BB is bad after so little use. If it's not loose, I'd look elsewhere for the noise.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I would have to add that seat post and seat clamp can also attribute to a tick/clunk/creak. Make sure everything is lubed.

You can use a bearing grease on the seat post/frame contact point if its metal, carbon requires a specific type of grease.

Also apply grease to the seat rails where they clamp along with the clamp bolt itself.

It could also be a chainring bolts, or even something as little as the front derailleur cable hitting the crank arm on the drive side. I have seen those quite a bit.

·
Registered
534 Posts
65 hours at 18mph is just a little over 1100 miles, about the same time my mego-junk-exo started making noise too. It might be fine but mine wasn't, the bearings were cooked. The good news is the durable shimano BB's are a direct fit replacement and work with the FSA cranks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Throw in Phil bearings and be done with it

Unless it is the seat or chainring bolts...which are both my first guesses. Or it could have to do with a bizarre and non-calculable relationship betwwen your bb and the seasonal axis of the moon...probably not, but hey...you never know...klug

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am currently trying to track down a similar noise. I've checked the pedals, seat, seatpost, chainring bolts, bottom bracket, headset, stem, and bars. I am going nuts. I thought it was the bottom bracket. I could hear a slight ticking sound when it was on the stand if I put my ear to the seat tube. I put a new bb on and the ticking on the stand was gone but on todays ride it was still there. Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are running mavic wheels, check your skewers and make sure they are seated in the drops. Often they mask as drivetrain noise. Also check you hubs, I had a free hub creak that had three different mechanics convinced it was the bb. throw in a different wheel and see if the prob. goes away. Next, pull the wheel out of the frame and squeeze in on the rear triangle. If your problem stems from what I am going for here you will know in a damn hurry...ps wear safety glasses or turn you head. Look for bent teeth on the front chainrings. Oh, are we talking creaks or clicks?. If you have a frame where carbon is bonded to aluminum, steel unnobtainium, etc. check the joints. It may be losing its bond. Lastly, grease all ferrules and their contact points. Many an annoying click comes from ferrules in cable stops. Grease is you friend...klug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts