Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but didn't find a solid answer on this one.

I am building up a Nashbar touring frame. It has a BB shell width of 68mm, and I will be installing a triple crank (not sure which yet) sized for medium to loaded touring. I am 6'3" with a 33" inseam.

As I look at bottom brackets I see they are available in a variety of widths. BBs for a 68mm shell are typically available in 108, 113, and 118 widths. Which is best for my application?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,339 Posts
undies said:
I did a search but didn't find a solid answer on this one.

I am building up a Nashbar touring frame. It has a BB shell width of 68mm, and I will be installing a triple crank (not sure which yet) sized for medium to loaded touring. I am 6'3" with a 33" inseam.

As I look at bottom brackets I see they are available in a variety of widths. BBs for a 68mm shell are typically available in 108, 113, and 118 widths. Which is best for my application?
It is dependent on which crankset you choose (both brand as well as model).

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although I don't have my heart set on anything yet, one sample combination I'm looking at is the Nashbar ISIS BB and this Nashbar ISIS crankset. The Web site says this crank works with 68x113 and 68x118 BBs. So I guess really my choice would be 68x113 or 68x118.

I suppose 5mm is a pretty small difference, all things considered. FWIW I am probably going with a 135mm rear hub (frame spacing is 132.5mm, so it accomodates 130mm or 135mm) and SRAM PG-970 9-speed cassette.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
fmw said:
If I remember correctly from my Shimano days, the 108 is for road doubles, the 111 (or 113) is for road triples and the 118 is for MTB triples.
You don't remember - stick to Campy. Also, it's ISIS, not Shimano.

You better give them a call because it doesn't make sense to specify both 68x113 and 68x118. I think they are going to say 118, but you better check.

TF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.