Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a new Ultegra double crank set on my bike. I was just wondering you guys idea about replacing the stock BB with a Chris King BB. I have read how great they are but I am trying to separate the BS from reality. I would appreciate your help.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I've gone through a few of the stock Shimano bottom brackets on my mountain bike. It's a water thing, so while I guess I do more creek crossings on the MTB, I think it's more that I ride my bikes in the rain. I haven't tried the King bottom bracket myself. It's very expensive, for me. But I rebuilt my Shimano BB with one of the Enduro kits last time it came up.

ENDURO BEARING KIT FOR X-TYPE BOTTOM BRACKETS

That's worked nicely for me so far.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had used stock Ultegra BB for years and they seemed fine until they would inevitably start clicking. But for $29.00 or whatever they were, I would just replace them. Then I bought a new frame and did a complete build from scratch and put on a Chris King and I have to say I am impressed. Can I honestly say the cranks turn easier? Not really, but they are smooth as silk and have not needed any adjustment in the first 1800 miles so far. There is never a gritty or creaky feeling - they just feel smooth. I also purchased the grease injection tool and it really is amazing. I got caught in a few downpours lately so I figured I'd give it a shot and it couldn't be easier. Once the cranks are off you can literally change the grease in 5 minutes.
I guess it's like a King headset. You may go through a cheaper one once every couple of years or you could put on a King and forget about it for...well...probably forever. If you can swing the money, I couldn't recommend the BB and headset enough. Both are outstanding products and anytime I called the company with questions they were more than happy to help me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.