Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the SRAM website, it says the Truvativ Touro crankset can use either their square taper bottom bracket or their power spine bottom bracket. I believe my bike has a square bottom bracket (2004 Giant Cypress SX). If I would like to upgrade to the splines bottom bracket when it is time to replace my current one, will I need to replace the crankarms to accomodate the power spline bottom bracket, or are the crank arms engineered in some way to accept both types of bottom brackets? Although there are specced on a lot of bikes, there is not very much information or reviews (no reviews) on the Touro cranks and bottom brackets. I guess they are considered entry level stuff and not very respected by road bikers (yes I am primarily a mountain biker) :eek:

·
Registered
604 Posts
The crankarms will either fit a square taper or a Power Spline bottom bracket.

If you already have a square taper BB (which I'm fairly sure you do) then I would suggest sticking with it. Square taper BB's have been around forever and will continue to be made. Shimano make a few different quality levels of square taper BB's, all of which have very long service lives.

Power Spline is Truvativs attempt at adding yet another spline pattern into the market for no apparent reason. Maybe they finally realized that ISIS was not such a great idea because of the thin bearings?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did not know that Power Spline was another spline format

Thanks for the reply lab worker. I did not not know that the Power Spline was another format. I thought it was a internal version of ISIS. My Shimano Deore crank on my Cannondale hardtail has an internal bottom bracket that uses the Octalink spline interface. I thought the power spline would be similar to that.

I guess I will stick to square taper when the time comes to replace the bottom bracket cartridge (or upgrade to a shimano octalink crank). :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts