Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I bought a Moulton last night. I overpaid for it, but what do you do when obsessed?

The bike has a mix of parts on it, including some very early Suntour Superbe brake levers and calipers ( tension adjustment at the lever).

I see a bunch of early parts heading for ebay.

Anyway, any pictures or info that anyone can provide me on early Moultons would be appreciated. Need to sort out colours, decals and whether or not contrasting colour panels were used or would have been used.

Also, if anyone can tell me whether it would have been 531 I would appreciate it.

All help appreciated.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Have you tried the web????????

Mr Moulton's bikes are made by someone else now but still they're great bikes. Check out the Moulton website then go from there. If you want even more hands on experiance with these small bikes then may I suggest contacting Mr. Dave Hickey. He has several Bike Fridays, although not Moultons, he has experiance on what works well on small wheeled bikes and can put you on the right track for sourcing parts for your bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thommy - this is a Dave Moulton. Not an Alex Moulton. I have received a response back from the man himself, Mr. Dave Moulton who tells me this bike frame was built in June 1976, when he was still in England.

Forbes - By the time I got home last night it was too dark outside so no piccies. Tonight I have a hockey game to go to so will be able to take some pictures tomorrow.

I promise.

BTW - the man ( Mr. Dave Moulton) tells me it is probably 531, the original owner tells me it IS 531 and probably 531C. Dave tells me if I send him a bunch of pics, as close up as possible, he can tell me what it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well Forbes, without further ado, my newest old bike.

It has Campy Record hubs and front derailleur. Campy Record pedals and Windsor toe clips. The Crank and rings are Sugino and the BB is Campy. Campy seatpin and looks like first gen Suntour Superbe brake calipers and levers. The rear Derailleur is Suntour Cyclone. The rims are AVA. Headset is early Dura Ace.

It is going to be stripped, painted and decalled then rebuilt with Campy Record ( Nuovo).

Even as it is right now, rides beautifully.

The bike is confirmed to be a british built 1976.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Sorry, my bad

toomanybikes said:
Thommy - this is a Dave Moulton. Not an Alex Moulton. I have received a response back from the man himself, Mr. Dave Moulton who tells me this bike frame was built in June 1976, when he was still in England.

Forbes - By the time I got home last night it was too dark outside so no piccies. Tonight I have a hockey game to go to so will be able to take some pictures tomorrow.

I promise.

BTW - the man ( Mr. Dave Moulton) tells me it is probably 531, the original owner tells me it IS 531 and probably 531C. Dave tells me if I send him a bunch of pics, as close up as possible, he can tell me what it is.
Nice lookin' bike. Thanks for submitting the pics. Looks really clean.

·
Registered
330 Posts
toomanybikes said:

It has Campy Record hubs and front derailleur. Campy Record pedals and Windsor toe clips. The Crank and rings are Sugino and the BB is Campy. Campy seatpin and looks like first gen Suntour Superbe brake calipers and levers. The rear Derailleur is Suntour Cyclone. The rims are AVA. Headset is early Dura Ace.

It is going to be stripped, painted and decalled then rebuilt with Campy Record ( Nuovo).

Why change the parts? Most bikes built from framesets at that time were mix and match. What it's wearing is probably mostly original to the first build and is a nice mix of parts. There's nothing on that bike that a Campy NR equivilent will out perform. Don't get me wrong I love full Campy bikes, but it gets boring to see every old bike rebuilt that way. Especially when most were first speced out with a Sugino crankset and DA brakes by the original owner who would not pony up for the Campy stuff at the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybeck said:
toomanybikes said:

Why change the parts? Most bikes built from framesets at that time were mix and match. What it's wearing is probably mostly original to the first build and is a nice mix of parts. There's nothing on that bike that a Campy NR equivilent will out perform. Don't get me wrong I love full Campy bikes, but it gets boring to see every old bike rebuilt that way. Especially when most were first speced out with a Sugino crankset and DA brakes by the original owner who would not pony up for the Campy stuff at the time.
Serial Numbers are a wonderful thing, I have tracked down the original owner who was astounded to know the bike was still around.

This bike was raced hard during the '70's.

It was originally a dark/ smoky Orange colour and all Nuovo Record. I like the Superbe brakes and am debating keeping them but I know there are collectors out there who specialize in Superbe and they may want these more than me. The suntour cyclone rear der., I have to admit, doesn't excite me. However, a finished product is a long way away.

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
Yes

He only made a few Criterium models; I think the chrome "arrowhead"s for cable routing are beautiful...there is another one near the seatpost (not all Criterium's have this). It's also a great riding bike.

toomanybikes said:
You Bast$rd!

Is that the one off of Dave's website??

Gorgeous.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Gorgeous!

I have one of Dave's bikes as well (1987 Recherche) and nothing rides sweeter. As far as the brake calipers go, the Superbe brakes in the pics look a little long, so that may weigh in on your decision to replace. Who is doing your paint? CycleArt in the San Diego area was close to Dave's shop, so they may have done a few of his bikes in the past and can probably do the decals up in an authentic fashion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts