Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The TDF has been looking fantastic on the new 65" OLED TV. The upscaling is fantastic and I cant believe how good it look. Netflix 4K material is just mazing and the 4K demo that LG built in will blow you mind.
Coming form a 42" Panasonic Plasma 720p, the blacks are good, better color and slightly better contrast. Now the size if diffidence is great and no picture loss do to upscaling and native 1080p with Blue-ray.

Motion on sports is great and juddering issues from the 2015 model is fixed.

Diving equipment Underwater diving Purple Adventure Extreme sport

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Does Lucky Goldstar make good TVs?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
Has taken a while for 4K monitors to shake out. Between overshoot ghosting and lag on one hand, and old-gen interconnects only capable of 30FPS it was a poor product market until fairly recently.

My old faithful 2560x1600 HP ZR30W desktop monitor just died after I got back from TdN. Got a BenQ 32" 4K and am happy as a clam.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I had issues with there 55' LCD around 3-4 years ago.. went through 3 of them(crutch field) before I just asked for a refund and got a 64' Samsung Plasma locally. However I've purchase other sets for my inlaws and they have worked fine.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
What is the max tire size?

Fender/Rack mounts?

wgscott said:

Just FYI the company has officially been called "LG Corporation" since re-naming (from Lucky Goldstar) in 1995. :p

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,140 Posts
OLED is a great technology.

I really like my Visio TVs, but I'd love to get an OLED TV.

What I notice most is the lack of true black, especially in a darkened room, unless I use that "adaptive" contrast thing that is supposed to adjust the contrast for the ambient light in the room... but ends up annoying me more than the slightly glowing blacks. Or if I manually increase the contrast, I lose some of the nuances between pure white and pure black.

Whenever I look at TVs in stores, one "innovation" I don't get is the curved screen. To me, it looks distorted from just about any viewing angle except 90 degrees, and even then, it makes me go slightly wall-eyed. Curved screens strike me as another clunky "innovation" nobody really wanted or enjoys, like 3D TV. What am I missing?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
OLED is a great technology.

I really like my Visio TVs, but I'd love to get an OLED TV.

What I notice most is the lack of true black, especially in a darkened room, unless I use that "adaptive" contrast thing that is supposed to adjust the contrast for the ambient light in the room... but ends up annoying me more than the slightly glowing blacks. Or if I manually increase the contrast, I lose some of the nuances between pure white and pure black.

Whenever I look at TVs in stores, one "innovation" I don't get is the curved screen. To me, it looks distorted from just about any viewing angle except 90 degrees, and even then, it makes me go slightly wall-eyed. Curved screens strike me as another clunky "innovation" nobody really wanted or enjoys, like 3D TV. What am I missing?
OLED has promise particularly with regard to black blacks compared to LCD or IPS, as well as eliminating glow....but a few problems arise in implementation quite commonly.

Firstly is input lag, especially in TVs and OLED in particular-to the tune of several dozen miliseconds (50-60ms of lag typically)....some of these panels have "game mode" to lessen input lag, but it screws up the color (4:4:4 to 4 : 4 : 2 is a common kludge). Which depending on what you are doing, and how much you're paying attention to tight audio/visual sync up, input lag may or may not matter. Some of the LG OLEDs suffer from image retention a bit, things like sporting organization logos (say the NBA logos) that stay in one place during an NBA game a while will be retained for a few hours when the picture changes.

For years now there really hasn't been a perfect IPS/OLED/etc panel. They all miss the mark in some salient technical manner.

Curved displays....look really ginchy, but that is it. It IMHO really is 3D TV and smartphones all over again.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My Pioneer Elite Pro RPTV died a few months ago. I bought a "throw away" Visio E series to tide me over while I was waiting for LG to roll out the 16 models. I've been kind of debating if I should pop for an E model but I don't think I can justify the price delta from the B. I'm going to have to upgrade the AVR (looking at Denon X3300W should be avail this month) as well to handle 4k/HDR so that's a factor.

scott s.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Pioneer Elite Pro RPTV died a few months ago. I bought a "throw away" Visio E series to tide me over while I was waiting for LG to roll out the 16 models. I've been kind of debating if I should pop for an E model but I don't think I can justify the price delta from the B. I'm going to have to upgrade the AVR (looking at Denon X3300W should be avail this month) as well to handle 4k/HDR so that's a factor.

scott s.
I don't think the email is worth the upgrade. I might have gone Sony or Sammy because of the E-price. The integrated sound bar is the real difference now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts