Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so far I really like it. about as quick, long, wide and cargo room as my Ford Explorer. But much, much better gas. I wish it was a Flex Fuel vehicle, but it nice.

Just need to get the bike attachment now for the roof rack.

Now that I have to drive more than 10 miles a day to get my kid from school, I will NOT miss the 14 MPG worth that large SUV.

For the budget this time, gas mileage, reliability and cargo space, the Outback seemed to fit it all. I was going to look at the Forrester, but I loved the OB better.

·
Registered
665 Posts
We've had one for about 6months, and no complaints. The rack is a bit limiting for some things, like longer kayaks, as the bars don't spread enough, but otherwise nice ride. We got the 6sp manual and see 28-30mpg.

·
I want a Road Bike :)
4,111 Posts
are subarus good cars???

:D

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Im looking at trading my Mini for a Subaru... Whats the gas milage like? Do you mind asking what you paid (round about?)

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Subarus don't get that great MPG compared to most comparable vehicles because they are all-wheel-drive. I might be interested if they would offer some front-wheel-drive only vehicles. AWD is overkill for people who live in areas without snow, plus it's just more parts with the potential to break down the road. Subarus have niche, however, if you live in an area with lots of snow. Myself, I would rather get something will better mileage.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
AWD is overkill for people who live in areas without snow, plus it's just more parts with the potential to break down the road.
That was my thinking, and we do get snow but I've never needed 4wd to get where I need to go. Plus, that new roof rack design - wtf? First saw it at a paddling show in the spring. Yeah, I think my 17'+ boats might not work too well on that...

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
Subarus don't get that great MPG compared to most comparable vehicles because they are all-wheel-drive. I might be interested if they would offer some front-wheel-drive only vehicles. AWD is overkill for people who live in areas without snow, plus it's just more parts with the potential to break down the road. Subarus have niche, however, if you live in an area with lots of snow. Myself, I would rather get something will better mileage.
We are looking for a small SUV/wagon and I definitely find the Subaru AWD as a negative (DC area). Seems unnecessary and just more stuff to break. I do like that they make more manuals than most manufacturers.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
kykr13 said:
That was my thinking, and we do get snow but I've never needed 4wd to get where I need to go. Plus, that new roof rack design - wtf? First saw it at a paddling show in the spring. Yeah, I think my 17'+ boats might not work too well on that...
The Forester racks are a lot better...

I gotta tell you, half the year I curse the crap-tastic gas mileage I get in my subaru.

Then winter hits and the residential streets aren't getting plowed... and I love it and the mileage is just fine.

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
I live in Boston. 9 months of the year FWD, or even RWD works just fine...but those 3 months def. need AWD. Just bought a condo on a hill that does not get plowed, and my (future) in-laws live on another unplowed hill. I tried their hill in fwd and rwd cars...got stuck or couldnt make it up. New England = subaru country. Subaru with snow tires will get you almost anywhere you need to go.

I have an impreza, when it goes, I'll most likely be getting another one...hopefully by then they have a diesel version of their h-4 engine imported to the states.

Great AWD system, decent reliability, mediocre mileage. My biggest complaint is the 4eat transmission in mine, makes the car seem gutless. But I hear that the new 6-speed CVT in the outback is nice, and their manuals have always been decent.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
i drive a 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 2.5. i used to drive a VW GTi 1.8T - the Subaru is a much better performer for the type of driving i do - mainly asphalt but with some mixed surfaces.

AWD is not overkill, it allows for greater handling of the car by putting power at all four corners. in the rain, it's freaking awesome - i have to fight the car to get the backend to come lose for my Scandinavian flicks. and the DC area is where you want AWD - we don't get snow, we get slush and ice.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
beantownbiker said:
their manuals have always been decent.
they have had constant problems with the synchros in the 5 speed transmission for years. one should not have to pull forward a few inches to get it into reverse.

·
Registered
247 Posts
DIRT BOY said:

QUOTE]

I'd love to hear more about the rack and your work-around - the old rack system more easily allowed for numerous bikes and long kayaks.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
NextTime said:
I'd love to hear more about the rack and your work-around - the old rack system more easily allowed for numerous bikes and long kayaks.
i'm not a fan of the roof rack at all - it's very heavy looking and oddly, looks simple to break.

·
Registered
628 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
Myself, I would rather get something will better mileage.

Like what? Just currious-- I feel the same way about the AWD but am not sure what a FWD comparable vehicle would be (that gets better gas mileage).

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
so far I really like it. about as quick, long, wide and cargo room as my Ford Explorer. But much, much better gas. I wish it was a Flex Fuel vehicle, but it nice.

Now that I have to drive more than 10 miles a day to get my kid from school, I will NOT miss the 14 MPG worth that large SUV.

For the budget this time, gas mileage, reliability and cargo space, the Outback seemed to fit it all. I was going to look at the Forrester, but I loved the OB better.
I've had a Suby and I now own an Explorer and unless they've changed the size significantly, the Outback had nowhere near the storage capacity of the Explorer. Also wasn't as good offroad--no low range, couldnt tow as much and not as much clearance. Kinda apples and oranges.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Our family is on it's fourth Subaru. Started with the most basic DL wagon in 1989. Had a Legacy Wagon and the last two have been Outback wagons. LOVED them all.

We need the AWD as we get snow here in No. NM, plus live 2 miles out on a dirt road. Don't know why there's all the comments about "more stuff to break" because we have never experienced any problem with the AWD. All our wagons have consistently gotten in the range of 28-30 mpg, that's both automatic (Legacy) and manual transmissions. Of course we don't do a lot of stop and go driving like you get in urban areas.

IMO safety wise they can't be beat. Our son rolled our first Outback wagon (dirt road, 90 deg off-camber curve prob doing around 30 mph) and had not even a scratch. We just helped our daughter buy an Impreza Sedan.

I have always felt that the Subaru line provided a lot of car for the money. The wagons can carry about the same load as an SUV but drive like a car. They aren't so good for towing, but with some of the lighter Euro-style trailers and campers now being offered that may change.

Re: roof racks. We installed a Thule system on the factory rack and it's worked great. Have used attachments for bikes, skis and a rocket box.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
beantownbiker said:
I tried their hill in fwd and rwd cars...got stuck or couldnt make it up. New England = subaru country. Subaru with snow tires will get you almost anywhere you need to go.
Did the FWD/RWD cars have snow tires as well?

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
buck-50 said:
I gotta tell you, half the year I curse the crap-tastic gas mileage I get in my subaru.

Then winter hits and the residential streets aren't getting plowed... and I love it and the mileage is just fine.
I get 27-29 on the highway which is fine. It's pretty hard to get significantly better for any vehicle with size and decent power (I looked). But in town? Not so much. I don't do a lot of city driving though, so a tank lasts plenty long.

I would not have one if I lived in LA like bent, but given winters and the occasional trip to the mountains, it works for us for a single vehicle pretty well.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts