Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys..

just to inform that i just bought another Merckx..and this time i managed to find a NOS MXL!

well..the not so good news is that it's not exactly my size (i believe it's a 52 ctc, with a 53.8 top tube)
but then again, i can't help it when i saw the frame being listed for sale..:D

the Strada OS should be arriving soon, and the MXL hopefully by end of next week.

cheers!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Nice score and the paint scheme is sweet. To my knowledge, NOS MXL"S are extremely rare. Where did you find it? How much was it? I believe retail was in the $1500-1700 range when they were available.
Currently, I'm trying to unload one of my EM bikes. I've got an Arcobaleno on RBR at best offer. It has received plenty of views but no legit. offers. If it doesn't sell by the end of the month, I'm going to list my Corsa Extra 62 CM-Molteni next month. Maybe, I'll have better luck.
Congratulations on your acquisitions and good luck with the builds.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Maverick, nice find. I would love to see the Strada when it comes. After seeing them on this forum lately, I'm starting to wish I still had mine ( eventhough it's been gone for 10 years now.)

BTW, my Strada was a 52, though my ideal size was a 50, it was a perfectly ridable bike with no severe fit issues. You should be ok on that MXL.

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@cannibal,
i found it in one of Japan's auction website, and of all places, the frame/fork will be shipped from New York apparently.
it's NOS, but from the pic it seems there are couple of items missing, namely the fine adjustment screws on the drop-out and the seatpost bolt.
i sure hope the paint/ general condition is ok :rolleyes:

@ green hour,
thanks for the comments. well..i'm keeping my fingers crossed. hope the fit is okay coz i seriously don't want to miss this great opportunity to own/ride a MXL.

@barry1021,
restraint? haha..well..there's another TSX on eBay at the moment. it's my size. 7-eleven team colors. should i??:D
just kidding.

cheers.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Maverick said:
@cannibal,
i found it in one of Japan's auction website, and of all places, the frame/fork will be shipped from New York apparently.
it's NOS, but from the pic it seems there are couple of items missing, namely the fine adjustment screws on the drop-out and the seatpost bolt.

Adjustment screws and Campy. seat binder bolt should run you approx. $25 to replace, minor headache IMHO.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Maverick said:
@cannibal,

@ green hour,
thanks for the comments. well..i'm keeping my fingers crossed. hope the fit is okay coz i seriously don't want to miss this great opportunity to own/ride a MXL.

@barry1021,
restraint? haha..well..there's another TSX on eBay at the moment. it's my size. 7-eleven team colors. should i??:D
just kidding.

cheers.
7-11, Mav, go for it!!

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@barry1021,
3 days remaining and the price has shot up to USD700.00 on the 7-eleven TSX.:(
definitely out of my reach i would say.

@innergel,
yep..unless you have plans to move to Tokyo :)
btw, on your MXL, what's your exact frame size and toptube length - ctc?

cheers

·
Registered
192 Posts
barry1021 said:
Honestly maverick, show a little restraint, huh?:D
Au contraire, we are here to enable each other. Go for it Maverick! Sell blood if you have to, it's the off-season!

Just kidding, but we're all looking forward to build pics and ride reports. :thumbsup:

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Maverick said:
@barry1021,
3 days remaining and the price has shot up to USD700.00 on the 7-eleven TSX.:(
definitely out of my reach i would say.

@innergel,
yep..unless you have plans to move to Tokyo :)
btw, on your MXL, what's your exact frame size and toptube length - ctc?

cheers
Frame size = 60cm
Top tube = 58.5cm

I'd have to get the tape out for any other measurements. I can do that if you like.

And mine is in Texas. So we've got the globe about split between the three green MXL's!! :thumbsup:

Here's a pic before the build. I can't believe I don't have any pics of it built up. I need to remedy that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
innergel said:
Well done Maverick! That's the same paint scheme I have on my MXL. I've only seen one other with the same paint. I think it's in Scandinavia somewhere. So this makes three. Unlikely we'll run into each other on the road :D
I have one green somewhere in between.
amazing bikes, enjoy your Merckx's!

vlckx

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Maverick said:
innergel, vlckx,

nice pics..

it seems the MXL that i bought is actually black?
refer to learlove's MXL at the below thread.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=70726&page=9

not sure but looks as if it's similar size as well:rolleyes:

cheers
It could be black. It's hard to tell in the pics. I figured it was dark green because all the graphics are the same colors as on the green. That pink and light blue is very distinctive. Either way, it's a beautiful bike.

And vlckx may have a larger bike than mine. I'd love to have a 63/64. The 60 is too small but I made it work.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Nice one

Yeah, you're on a tear. Ha ha, sweet find. Let me know how it rides. I ride a 51 so I could never make it work with that TT. I'd ride them, get the jones out of your system, sell them both and get a custom Japanese steel frame. Besides the US, you're in the last remaining motherlode of awesome steel bikes in the World. Don't know if you're local or foreigner but if the latter, do it while you can. I'm back up there on the 2nd for two weeks. If I bring my biking shoes and pedals, there's gonna be trouble.

Maverick said:
pics of the MXL

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@boneman.

well..i figured since a Strada OS size 50cm has a toptube of 53.5cm, and the 52cm MXL has a toptube of 53.8..so what the heck. a mere 0.3cm differences.
furthermore it's not everyday we see a NOS MXL on sale these days.

@innergel,
the headtube pic looks black, though the graphics are similar with the green MXL. anyway will post couple of pics once the frame arrives from NY.
don't forget to share with us pics of your built-up.

cheers

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
frameset/fork arrived from NY last week:)
here are the pics (night shots from lousy camera phone doesn't exactly do justice to a nice frame, so pardon the pics)

the color is gun metal/black.
frameset is indeed NOS - though some paint chips at the bottom of the both chainstays, else i would rate it a perfect 10/10.

cheers!

PS: learlove, it's an awfully nice frameset/fork..just wondering why you sold it?! :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Maverick said:
frameset/fork arrived from NY last week:)
here are the pics (night shots from lousy camera phone doesn't exactly do justice to a nice frame, so pardon the pics)

the color is gun metal/black.
frameset is indeed NOS - though some paint chips at the bottom of the both chainstays, else i would rate it a perfect 10/10.
cheers!

Mind blower in terms of overall condition. I can't remember the yen to dollar conversion,but I have a sneaky suspicion you're celebrating with sushi, sake, and sapporo if this is the frameset you bought in Japan.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.