Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thing is amazing. I am going from a Bell Volt to this helmet and it is amazing! After a 63 mile ride in almost 80 degree weather the majority of my head is cool and dry. So much air comes through this helmet it is amazing! There is no wind noise like my Giro Ionos in this helmet. The helmet is almost non existent when on my head but when held in the hand it feels very solid. I recommend this helmet to anyone in the market for new helmet. If you live in the SoCal area there is a certain Specialized Bike dealer in Orange County that has a 20% off coupon their website that is usable on this purchase so that takes the $230.00 price tag down to $184.00 which is the price of the S-Works helmet. Have to say also that helmet looks good and is available in 6 colors.

·
Registered
520 Posts
looks really good. i had an s-works that is just totally worn out. i've always loved that huge mouth vent in the front.my question, how is the profile? i had a large s-works and it always looked a little mushroom-head-ish to me compared to my giro... i'm a skinny guy with a big head.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still a little mushroom effect but I think that is just their styling. All I can tell you is that there is a significant difference between the S-Works and the Prevail. I own both and have drank the Specialized Kool-Aid at this point. I bought my Roubaix last year after thumbing my nose at them for a long time and now the helmet. I might even have to try their saddles at some point.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
80o?

80o weather? I'm moving to Tustin. More like mid 70's according to the weather reports, Which is still pretty warm....

Well, I just Googled Tustin. Last time we were in L.A. was in 1990 when we took a trip to Disneyland with our 4 year daughter. I swore then I would never return and I haven't.

But the helmet sounds neat. My Rudy Project Kontact gets hot in the summer because of the bug screen...

·
Ride bicycles? Why?
522 Posts
I like the specialized helmets for the most part. I have the 2011 echelon. Its not the highest level helmet but I have tried and used 09 s-works, 10 non and s-works and the 11 non and s-works helmets. The cooling is only marginally different from one to the other each year But the weights are much different. The issue I have with them is that the retention system is not always the most comfortable but with that said I think there are far more uncomfortable helmets out there and the 11's fit more comfy. My previous helmets have been from bell and Giro and immediately before the specialized I had a lazer genesis rd which was spectacular. Kinda wish I hadnt gotten rid of it. It was my favorite and was a bit cooler than the specialized even if it wasnt as low profile.

·
Registered
266 Posts
rward325 said:
This thing is amazing. I am going from a Bell Volt to this helmet and it is amazing! After a 63 mile ride in almost 80 degree weather the majority of my head is cool and dry. So much air comes through this helmet it is amazing! There is no wind noise like my Giro Ionos in this helmet. The helmet is almost non existent when on my head but when held in the hand it feels very solid. I recommend this helmet to anyone in the market for new helmet. If you live in the SoCal area there is a certain Specialized Bike dealer in Orange County that has a 20% off coupon their website that is usable on this purchase so that takes the $230.00 price tag down to $184.00 which is the price of the S-Works helmet. Have to say also that helmet looks good and is available in 6 colors.
What shop is this and do they have a web site?

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
early one said:
What shop is this and do they have a web site?
Check PM for the information

·
Banned
175 Posts
1 month report - previous helmet was the s-works 2010 and the prevail model is much more comfortable and the ratchet dial is way easier to adjust on the fly. The helmet has improved wind flow, which is hard to believe compared to the last helmet but it does. It is also very light weight and disappears once on the melon. All in all a much improved design and well worth the $.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
masfish1967 said:
1 month report - previous helmet was the s-works 2010 and the prevail model is much more comfortable and the ratchet dial is way easier to adjust on the fly. The helmet has improved wind flow, which is hard to believe compared to the last helmet but it does. It is also very light weight and disappears once on the melon. All in all a much improved design and well worth the $.
I concur with this report. I am in the exact same position, prevail replaced S-Works and is REALLY that much better! Hard to believe but it is true. And for you big melon heads out there there is also an adjustment inside the helmet that increases inside length.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I love Specialized helmets. Look the best and fit my head really well. Hope they've gone to the wheel system on all the helmets in 2011. I have a 2009 with a wheel and it is great because you can adjust it with just one hand.

Love Specialized helmets. Yeah, going to have to figure out how to avoid paying full price, but I am after a Prevail.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rubbersoul said:
Giro rules!
I used to say the same thing. I own a 2009 Giro Ionos as well as a 2009 Bell Volt. I didn't come to this decision just by drinking the Specialized Kool-Aid! I have worn Giro most of my adult life and then switched to the Bell Volt at the urging of a friend. I wore that for almost 2 years. There was a huge sale at the Specialized dealer last summer and I got the S-Works helmet for a steal, knowing if I didn't like it I could sell it used for what I paid for it. I loved it was the amazing part! So when I had an opportunity to try the prevail with a 20% off coupon I jumped! It is was what they advertise is all I can tell you.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I work for a Specialized dealer. I bought 2 of the Prevails to replace some 6+ year old Giros. Much mo bettah.

Cooler. Lighter. (hopefully) More aero. Not that it'll help my fat behind!

M

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just bought a Bell Array for just under $50 at pricepoint today. For the money it was a great deal. Crashed on some ice the other day and cracked my old helmet. Slid smoothly on the ice and didn't get any road rash.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
funny you should mention that because on super bowl sunday where they had the 35% off ONE item that helmet was mysteriously not "in stock"

I tried on the S-works and it felt pretty good, curious now what the Prevail is like, I really want to see how the wind noise thing is or isnt

·
Registered
124 Posts
Does this helmet keep from sweat rolling into your eyes? My current helmet (Garneau Diamond) directs the sweat right into the corner of my eyes and it is beyond annoying.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.