Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Off the back.
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recommendations (good or bad) about getting a pro bike fit done in the Boulder, CO area?

Sports Garage can't do a fit until June 28th, so now I'm looking elsewhere to see what my options are.

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
SenorBlanco said:
Anyone have recommendations (good or bad) about getting a pro bike fit done in the Boulder, CO area?

Sports Garage can't do a fit until June 28th, so now I'm looking elsewhere to see what my options are.
The Boulder center for sports medicine (http://www.bch.org/sportsmedicine/). I've never had a bike fit by them, but I've had other tests and what not run by them, and they are top notch people, really. You will probably have to make a appointment with them, but I think it will be worth it.

fwiw, all my dealings with sports garage have left me thinking that they were a great group of people. Though, I don't know anything about their bike fitting.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
SenorBlanco said:

Give Vecchio's on Pearl Street a call. http://vecchios.com/

or

Pro Peloton
(303) 415-1292
2615 13th St

Both do fits and will make you a really nice bike if you want to.

·
Registered
214 Posts
1.boulder center of sports med would be the best due to their resources

2. vecchios does a great job, they'll put you on a fit bike and really look at you and what your problems may be or how you may want things changed.

2b. try chris at pro-peloton, he'll do a good job like vecchios.

3. wade does an ok job, you'll get measured by him and that's about it. he most likely won't put you on a fit bike unless your getting a seven custom frame. he's a good b.s.'er, too.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
to be fair, I guess it depends what you need. If you have a unique physical issue (neck, back, knee, foot, etc.) then I'd ditto Boulder Center for Sports Med. but if you are just looking for a good fitting from an experienced cyclist, I think it would be overkill.

So perhaps the question should be asked: what is the OP looking for?

·
Registered
214 Posts
very true..

if you have problems then you should seek med. help.

one i forgot...i haven't had them fit me, but i've heard GREAT things about
wheatridge cyclery. they're the #1 shop in america, and everytime i've been there to buy tires, tubes....they've been awesome in the cust. service dept.

if you're in the golden area, i've heard good things about bigringcyclery...they do a lot of bike/tri fits.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If anyone is still paying attention here, talk to Chris Soden at Pro Peloton. Getting a fit done by him was the best money I've ever spent on my bike. I've been a pro wrench for ages, but in all that time have never learned much about fitting a bike. He's good and will do so for you as well.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
chrislh said:
thanks for the reply, KJohnson have u ever gotten fit by them? does Andy Pruitt do the fits?
I was not fit by then. I was fit by Dennis at ProPeloton about 5 years ago. Dennis is no longer there, but Chris seems like a nice guy. I was in a few weeks ago and spent some time talking to him. Really nice guy. I wouldn't hesitate to get fit by him.

A friend also got fit at Vecchios 2 years back and really liked the setup of his Calfee when he got done. He's long in the body and has short legs which wasn't going to fit any stock frame.

If I could afford it I would go to the sports medicine place. It would be a fun experience and would probably learn a lot more than just getting fit.

Let us know where you end up going, especially if it's the sports medicine. I would like to hear about the experience.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
KJohnson said:
I was not fit by then. I was fit by Dennis at ProPeloton about 5 years ago.
Me too....late 2000 I think it was--before the owners changed hands. I went there originally because Peter (now Vecchios) was wrenching there and thought he'd be building the wheelset. He left to form Vecchios before my frame came in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
KJohnson those prices are from Boulder Center for Sports Med right? i looked on the wepage and couldn't find em. not saying your wrong or anything or i don't believe u. 185.00 sounds like a good deal to me. the 3-D=400.00 ouch that's gonna hurt if that's what they suggest. i'll keep u guys posted on what happens. thanks again for the replies

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
ProPeloton was bought by Chris and somebody else earlier this year. The attitude of the shop definitely changed for the better since the last time I was in a few years back. Come to think of it I hadn't been there for about 3 or 4 years.

We went in and had my wife fit for her bike and Dennis was very nice and listened to everything she had to say. A few weeks later I made an appointment and got fit. Dennis seemed distracted and just going through the mechanics of the fitting. When we went back to pick up the bikes they were kind of snooty. Thought it might be a bad day. Went back a few more times just to get some things adjusted. Wasnt' treated like I just spent $9K of a couple bikes, more like a Pearl Street bum. Wasn't impressed.

Had some drive train issues earlier this year and gave them another chance. Chris was nice to deal with and his wrench, Nick was willing to discuss options and preferences without any pressure. I ended up buying the parts online and having them install them. They were okay with that and did a great job on the bike. I'll go back again.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
KJohnson said:
ProPeloton was bought by Chris and somebody else earlier this year. The attitude of the shop definitely changed for the better since the last time I was in a few years back. Come to think of it I hadn't been there for about 3 or 4 years.

We went in and had my wife fit for her bike and Dennis was very nice and listened to everything she had to say. A few weeks later I made an appointment and got fit. Dennis seemed distracted and just going through the mechanics of the fitting. When we went back to pick up the bikes they were kind of snooty. Thought it might be a bad day. Went back a few more times just to get some things adjusted. Wasnt' treated like I just spent $9K of a couple bikes, more like a Pearl Street bum. Wasn't impressed.

Had some drive train issues earlier this year and gave them another chance. Chris was nice to deal with and his wrench, Nick was willing to discuss options and preferences without any pressure. I ended up buying the parts online and having them install them. They were okay with that and did a great job on the bike. I'll go back again.
Yup...they definately had the snooty factor back then. I bought there because this was an insurance replacement and I wasn't paying, plus Peter had a great rep for wrenching. I have no idea who actually built the wheels, but I eventually had to have the rear rebuilt. Really haven't been back since I bought the bike in Y2k. I mostly do my own wrenching and have taken my bike to Vecchios on occasion when I've messed something up. A friend of mine just started a shop out in the Longmont area (Airport rd and Nelson) called Blue Sky Cycles so I've been going there most recently.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
chrislh said:
KJohnson those prices are from Boulder Center for Sports Med right? i looked on the wepage and couldn't find em. not saying your wrong or anything or i don't believe u. 185.00 sounds like a good deal to me. the 3-D=400.00 ouch that's gonna hurt if that's what they suggest. i'll keep u guys posted on what happens. thanks again for the replies
It took a few clicks to get to it. I'm not sure what I did to get there but I found them. The prices and contact numbers are at the bottom of this page:
http://www.bch.org/sportsmedicine/science.cfm#Bike Fit

The 3-d actually sounds like fun. Can't quite justify that at this time.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
I'll have to check out Blue Sky next time we are up there. That should happen some time in the next 5 or 6 years. We drive through every once in a while, but never stop in Longmont. Now at least I know where a shop is up there if I need on on my Saturday ride.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
KJohnson said:
I'll have to check out Blue Sky next time we are up there. That should happen some time in the next 5 or 6 years. We drive through every once in a while, but never stop in Longmont. Now at least I know where a shop is up there if I need on on my Saturday ride.
Yeah it's a bit out of the way for us Boulderites, but the guy who runs it is super nice and a great wrench. He used to work for Schwinn and then Maverick. He also delivers to Boulder customers when I drop off there which is a big plus.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.