Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,174 Posts
Nice set up!

Here's an interesting test of how air affects whiskey IN THE GLASS:

But they also say that once a bottle is opened, and especially after it is over half empty, you've got a couple months before the flavors change. That comes from the bald guy, who is, IIRC, a third level whiskey sommelier. Or something like that.

FWIW. That tracks with my experience, which is why I no longer save the last of "special bottles" for a future occasion. No, I have to finish them! Because science!

It's not that they go bad, more like they lose some notes. Easy to test your palate on this, when you have the end of a bottle that has been sitting for a while, and a fresh bottle. Do a side by side. If you don't taste a difference, then don't worry about it. If you don't care about the difference, don't worry about it. But it is an easy test.

It's a good youtube channel, so give it a shot. They range from basic to super high end rare bottles.

·
Super Moderator
40,091 Posts
Nice set up!

Here's an interesting test of how air affects whiskey IN THE GLASS:

But they also say that once a bottle is opened, and especially after it is over half empty, you've got a couple months before the flavors change. That comes from the bald guy, who is, IIRC, a third level whiskey sommelier. Or something like that.

FWIW. That tracks with my experience, which is why I no longer save the last of "special bottles" for a future occasion. No, I have to finish them! Because science!

It's not that they go bad, more like they lose some notes. Easy to test your palate on this, when you have the end of a bottle that has been sitting for a while, and a fresh bottle. Do a side by side. If you don't taste a difference, then don't worry about it. If you don't care about the difference, don't worry about it. But it is an easy test.

It's a good youtube channel, so give it a shot. They range from basic to super high end rare bottles.
A side-by-side test can be order-biased, so at the least, one should try the old, then the new, and then repeat the test procedure, but reversing the order of old and new. Ideally, this should then be repeated over days...

Science can be a stern taskmaster.

If you're into the science of booze, this is a good book: Proof It was filled with interesting tidbits (such has how certain distilleries have piped sound into their aging rooms), and why such things do/don't matter to the final product. I learned, for instance, that there is more than simple nostalgia that makes Scotch distilleries so anal about duplicating as much as possible every single little dent and ding, and even old repairs, in old distillery pots when they're being replaced--there's a measurable effect on the chemical processes involved in whiskyfication.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts