Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confession: My grail quest is for a box wine that isn't completely suxxor fail carp junk.

Not because I'm cheep.

I am, but that's not why.

It's just that I can't put a cork back in a bottle of 'real' wine. Next night just isn't the same experience, and wifey just doesn't carry her load on the weeknights.

So I'm stuck with an odd choice - find a cheap wine with consistent delivery, or turn into a drunk. While drunk has a lot to recommend it, I'm going to stick with option A for a while longer.

I'd given up my grail quest as a hopeless fantasy - a search for something that never existed. But on a random shot, I picked up a Bota Box Old Vine Zin. $18/3L.

No one will confuse it for quality wine, but it's not horrible. Kinda simple, a little thin, the finish shows a bit of age in American plastic... But I didn't reflexively spray it across the table, and more will be consumed than used in stew.

You got any winners?

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
danl1 said:
Confession: My grail quest is for a box wine that isn't completely suxxor fail carp junk.

Not because I'm cheep.

I am, but that's not why.

It's just that I can't put a cork back in a bottle of 'real' wine. Next night just isn't the same experience, and wifey just doesn't carry her load on the weeknights.

So I'm stuck with an odd choice - find a cheap wine with consistent delivery, or turn into a drunk. While drunk has a lot to recommend it, I'm going to stick with option A for a while longer.

I'd given up my grail quest as a hopeless fantasy - a search for something that never existed. But on a random shot, I picked up a Bota Box Old Vine Zin. $18/3L.

No one will confuse it for quality wine, but it's not horrible. Kinda simple, a little thin, the finish shows a bit of age in American plastic... But I didn't reflexively spray it across the table, and more will be consumed than used in stew.

You got any winners?

There are plenty of decent, and some really good, brands of boxed wine these days. That's all I ever buy anymore. My last box was a box of Oz Shiraz, which was really good. This time I went with Black Box Cab, which is decent, but I liked the Shiraz better. Just stay away from Franzia, whatever you do. That's the crap my mother drinks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think Black Box (I am pretty sure that is the name) is good. I find I have good luck if I pay $24 or so for a 3 liter, less luck in the $17 range (Fish - something brand). Lasts for several days.

·
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Franzia = gawdawful.

Black Box = yeh, shiraz not awful.

Bandits Chard = not bad, but small unit and screwtop rather than anerobic package. Good news, whites can take it a little better.

Haven't tried OZ yet. I'll give it a check.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
Black Box Central Coast California Cabernet Sauvigon. $18/3 liters. I am cheap, but I do like a nice wine and will pay for it, to a point.

·
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spudbiker said:
I think Black Box (I am pretty sure that is the name) is good. I find I have good luck if I pay $24 or so for a 3 liter, less luck in the $17 range (Fish - something brand). Lasts for several days.
Fish Eye? Fish Piss? Sumpin' like that.

·
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sledgehammer03 said:
Black Box Central Coast California Cabernet Sauvigon. $18/3 liters. I am cheap, but I do like a nice wine and will pay for it, to a point.

Kinda thin for a cab, isn't it?

//Seriously, haven't done their cab yet. Wasn't wowed by the Sauvignon Blanc.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
spudbiker said:
Black box is only about $18 a box here. Oz is more like $20, and it's slightly better. I can't think of many other brands offhand, I just buy whatever they have. Oh, Hardy's is decent and Pinot Evil is alright.

Several days? Boxes last several weeks.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Sledgehammer03 said:

That's what I'm drinking right now, and it's alright. Oz is $2 more and is another step up.

·
22 going on Ancient
373 Posts

(90% sure this is my cousin Rob two years ago)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts