Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I went to air up my tires on Friday morning in Ohio, the hose from the pump cracked through....it's was only 3 years old and the rest of the pump works fine (Joe Blow)

I stopped at the store tonight and got a chunk or air hose for like 6 bucks and fixed it. The good news was it worked! I don't have to buy a new pump! I saved 15 bucks!

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
That's what you get for coming to the Buckeye state. Did you see what happened to me on Sunday? :)

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sunday was not as hot as Saturday at least......Saturday was just miserable in Columbus

· Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I just bought my Topeak JowBlow a couple of days ago, and so far am EXTREMELY satisfied with it. It is replacing a Silca floor pump which has been a source of headaches for about 3 months now (purchased new back in 2005). Good to know that regular auto parts store grade fuel/vacuum hose will work as replacement hose.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually used an air hose (4 ft section) 1/4 ID urethane...I had to "modify" a bit but it works.

The original hose fits over a nipple and has a threaded nut that locks it in place. The OD on the mew hose was a bit bigger so I had to open the hole up in the nuts a bit and the ait chuck end nipple was considerably smaller so I wrapped repeatedly with teflon tape to make it bigger.....jammed it in and threaded the nut back on....she seems to hold at 120 psi.....so..

That said......fuel or vacuum hose would most likely have worked too and been cheaper....thanks....I should have asked...lol

edit....when you have to replace yours...make it LONGER so you can pump it up on the stand or bike carrier...

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
neither...it lives in my house....and it wasn't rubber, seemed like a plastic or urethane....but it's all better now.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
FWIW, three years doesn't seem like very premature failure to me for the hose on a pump that's used a lot. I've replaced hoses a couple of times with air hose from hardware stores--usually not an exact match, but with a hose clamp and a little ingenuity you can make it work.
I've also emailed Topeak to ask about the price of replacement parts, and they've sent them free, so that might be worth a try.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well for now...it's repaired, so....not really an issue...I thought about getting a replacement from them...but this was faster....AND I have a 4 foot hose on it.

I wasn't complaining about the longevity....shoot it was a 20 dollar pump......I've paid more than that for a meal that was poop the next day!

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I actually used an air hose (4 ft section) 1/4 ID urethane...I had to "modify" a bit but it works.

The original hose fits over a nipple and has a threaded nut that locks it in place. The OD on the mew hose was a bit bigger so I had to open the hole up in the nuts a bit and the ait chuck end nipple was considerably smaller so I wrapped repeatedly with teflon tape to make it bigger.....jammed it in and threaded the nut back on....she seems to hold at 120 psi.....so..

That said......fuel or vacuum hose would most likely have worked too and been cheaper....thanks....I should have asked...lol

edit....when you have to replace yours...make it LONGER so you can pump it up on the stand or bike carrier...
I just had to do the exact same thing on my Specialized floor pump. The hose broke right at the nipple-nut. I used a dremel to cut the silver compression clamp off of the nipple, then cut the end of the hose so it was smooth, and finally used one of those steel compression bands (the one you tighten with a screwdriver.

Works great and cost be about 15 cents to fix.

Also, I don't think we've truly had a hot and brutal day this summer (in Central Ohio). We've had some hot days, but I don't recall any days of 90+ weather with really high humidity.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Einstruzende said:
I just had to do the exact same thing on my Specialized floor pump. The hose broke right at the nipple-nut. I used a dremel to cut the silver compression clamp off of the nipple, then cut the end of the hose so it was smooth, and finally used one of those steel compression bands (the one you tighten with a screwdriver.

Works great and cost be about 15 cents to fix.

Also, I don't think we've truly had a hot and brutal day this summer (in Central Ohio). We've had some hot days, but I don't recall any days of 90+ weather with really high humidity.
was it friday?.... the weekend before this one....it was hot enough for me....low to mid 90's and humid...no a/c and ...I was pretty miserable...... (my sister-in-law and brother-in-law live on N Broadway....right on the ambulance route)

as for the pump, if I had just re-attached where it broke I would have had less than a foot of hose......besides it was cracked all over....I like having a 4 foot hose now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.