Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing my ksyrium elites and looking at custom Boyd Altamonts with White Industries T11 hubs. However for the cost I'm also considering Boyd Rouleurs with standard Boyd hubs. I can get the Rouleurs lightly used for 400 less. Is there a big difference between the two? If it matters I'm 6'3" 245lbs. The altamonts would be 28x32, the Rouleurs 24x28.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Altamonds by far. The Rouleurs 24x28 are not meant for a rider your size. Meant as everyday sporty wheels for riders not much over 200 lbs.
Best call and talk to Boyd. I am pretty sure he will guide you right on all aspects of his products.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Not sure if either would be a good choice. The rim on the Altamont is fairly big by alloy standards and only weighs 435. To have more size and also be lighter than a more 'standard' rim made with the same material something has to give. I don't know anything for fact but suspect those, or any 435g rim, is not a good choice for a 245 pounder.

·
Boyd Cycling owner
377 Posts
Not sure if either would be a good choice. The rim on the Altamont is fairly big by alloy standards and only weighs 435. To have more size and also be lighter than a more 'standard' rim made with the same material something has to give. I don't know anything for fact but suspect those, or any 435g rim, is not a good choice for a 245 pounder.
The Altamont Lite is the version that weighs 435 grams (actually we've weighed some recently and it's more like 442). That rim is 25mm deep.

The regular Altamont is 30mm deep and is 485 grams. We definitely did not want to shave 20 grams and risk having a rim that has issues. In the 28/32 spoke count the the Altamonts have been very bombproof.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
The Altamont Lite is the version that weighs 435 grams (actually we've weighed some recently and it's more like 442). That rim is 25mm deep.

The regular Altamont is 30mm deep and is 485 grams. We definitely did not want to shave 20 grams and risk having a rim that has issues. In the 28/32 spoke count the the Altamonts have been very bombproof.
My mistake. Sorry. I just googled, must have turned up the lite version and assumed there was just one.

OP, ignore me.

·
CX'er
863 Posts
I've ridden the 1st gen altamont with 28 spoke rear as a temporary (3-4 months, 2,000 miles or so) replacement and it worked well for my 230 pounds at the time, including gravel riding.

I would not trust the rouleurs nearly as much. Also, I have not had and problems with any of boyds wheels, first with some of the carbon tubulars I had for a few years and then the altamonts (given they shouldn't wear much in that amount of time).

Boyd's products are pretty solid even though I ride other brands due to sponsorship obligations now. I'm currently on velocity quill rims built up 24F/28R without incedent with the exception of some tire sizing learning curve and the quills are pretty similar to the altamonts. The newer, wider rims seem to take a lot more beating than the older narrower rims even at the same weights, because the rim geometry is stronger (think bigger, thinner tubes on things like aluminum frames or 35mm carbon handle bars).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply! I did end up messaging Boyd and I'll be going with the Altamonts given my weight, and although they are slightly more they will be new, stronger and a better investment.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I did end up messaging Boyd and I'll be going with the Altamonts given my weight, and although they are slightly more they will be new, stronger and a better investment.
Think spoke count! At your weight, you want 32 rear.

·
My other bike has knobbys
656 Posts
JP4, I'm another solid Clyde and I'm going to be getting a set built with the "normal" Altamont rims. I've talked to coachboyd a couple times on different options over the last year and he's given some great advice. At our size 24/32 (for front radial) or 28/32 are a good idea. I'm setting up for a custom build with Onyx road hubs and he provided some good pointers to get the most out of the build.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the input! Much rather spend my money on a custom Boyd wheelset rather than something off the shelf that might not be as durable and I would need to replace down the line.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Thanks to all for the input! Much rather spend my money on a custom Boyd wheelset rather than something off the shelf that might not be as durable and I would need to replace down the line.
smart move! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
That's the beauty of custom wheels -- they're not one size fits all.

·
My other bike has knobbys
656 Posts
That's the beauty of custom wheels -- they're not one size fits all.
That ^^

There is also the added bonus that you can get what you want (i.e. if you want White hubs instead of Novatec) in the colors you want / to match your ride. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts