Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title translated from local Hawaii slang:
Hey, do you want to tour around Waikiki?....Okay, let's go.

Back in high school or college this would mean riding in the bed of a pickup (still perfectly legal there) and doing laps around Waikiki until 2am. Now after living in Colorado for quite a while I prefer to cruise around on my favorite form of transportation, the bicycle. So on a visit to my home island, we went local style. That would be on a crappy mountain bike wearing rubber slippers. I started off by fueling up with the local Power Bar, the Spam Musubi.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Waikiki...my birthplace

Pic #1 - Visitors now would find it hard to believe there was a hospital right in Waikiki next to all the hotels. In the sunset picture overlooking Ala Moana, the tall shadow on the left is the Hawaii Prince Hotel. It used to be a Kaiser hospital where I was born. It was imploded in the mid-80s and sensationalized on an episode of Magnum PI. I wonder if Magnum escaped from the exploding building?

Pics #2 and #3 - Along the Ala Wai canal near the convention center.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ala Moana

Hopefully I can get the picture descriptions in order this time.

Pic #1 - Surf spot "Kaisers" off the Ala Wai boat harbor. Hawaii has been getting a ton of rain. Big Bill posted some good stuff on that. Some of the damage was a major sewage spill. Despite the warning signs, people were still out there.

Pic #2 and #3 - A quick spin through Ala Moana Park.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kewalo Basin

OK I don't know what is going on with the picture order but I am 0 for 2 on the last two posts even though switched the order they were uploaded. Sorry for the confusion. I won't bother labeling the picture numbers.

Pic - Along the Kewalo Basin shore line.

Pic - I got psyched when I latched on to this local paceline. These guys were big I thought I could get a sweet draft off of them. Turns out it's pretty negligable at 7 mph.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Near Kapiolani Park

Pic - I used to swim at this seawater pool as a kid. It's been closed along time.

Pic - A typical rider near Queen's beach. It's fun to ride through here just to see the confused looks on tourist's faces wondering why they are surrounded by a bunch of underweight men wearing thongs.

Pic - Pidgeons on the path.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back to the Ala Wai Canal

This is where the city unloaded a huge amount of raw sewage during a recent storm. I always considered the canal polluted anyway.

Pic - A treasure at the bottom. I think if Hollywood saw this frame and fork, he would fish it out, turn it into a fixie and call it something like the "Algaexie".

Pic - Why I can't eat tilapia. They thrive in what the locals call "Doo doo water".

Pic - The bike lane along the canal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wrap up

Cycling is not very popular with the locals. The serious cyclists you see are mostly transplants. What is very popular here is fishing. I thought I would post a couple of non-cycling photos from my home town Kaneohe. We went out in the bay with some friends. You may recognize the scenery from the Adam Sandler movie "50 First Dates".

Pic - At the sand bar looking back towards shore. (photo cred to my wife)

Pic - Ben assessing the "bird nest" I made out of one of his rods. What can I say, I am out of practice. Ben hosts a local TV show called "Let's Go Fishing". He knows the bay like the back of his hand.

Thanks for looking.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Nice

On Sunday I plan on riding from Ewa to meet up with the group at Kapiolani fountain and ride to Waimanolo and go Samoan dodging and then ride home. Should be around 98 miles. I doubt that I will take a camera. I have some luau pictures to post when I get the other computer to log in.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Nice pics. I went to a meeting at that convention center last winter. great spot. i rented a cruiser bike to get to and from the hotel. it was my second time in waikiki for work. it seem so sucky compared to anywhere else in the hawaiian islands (kauai) but it is still so nice to have perfect weather in february. we left just as it started raining.

i also dont eat tilapia after working on a fish pond project in africa. tilapia live where no other fish can.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Jeff in Texas said:
Nice pics. The bike lane looks like a great place to get doored!
I am very wary when I ride down that street. The thing that you have going for you is that it is one way with three lanes and most people moving left to turn. I will be riding on it in the morning on my way home from a group ride. 50 mile round trip to the ride plus a 46 mile group ride. I should have some nice tan lines by the time I get home.

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
I seen it!

gonsa said:
A treasure at the bottom. I think if Hollywood saw this frame and fork, he would fish it out, turn it into a fixie and call it something like the "Algaexie".
man that would be sweet. I'd keep the tubes filled with water and fish just to know that a little sushi snack was never far away. I'd call it my "fish'd gear".

very nice report & pics...I just took a little mental vacation.

now back to the HotPocket that I just burned while reading this...

living the dream,
HW

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
wsexson said:
I have always wondered, is there any reason why SPAM is particularly popular in both Hawaii and Utah?
Probably cause of Marines who settled in Hawaii after WWII, and Army and Navy boys who went back home to Utah. Sorta like how after WW 1 British soldiers had acquired a taste for Quinine (Did I spell that right?) in their drinking water. After all, SPAM stands for Specially Packaged American Meat, and was a large part of feild rations for the Allies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.