Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This might sound stupid, but here goes...

I'd always assumed that the quick release lever on the brake caliper also doubled as an adjustment lever... i.e. you could run it at any position, and I basically treated it like a fine tuner for brakes rather that a quick release. The detents in the lever seemed to support the way I was using it.

I noticed today on my Rival front brakes that if I have that quick release/adjustment lever north of horizontal (i.e. 6 - 12 o'clock) and grab a lot of front brake, it will completely flip to full open under the pressure. What's weird is that the rear brake (also Rival) doesn't do this, nor do my Tiagra's.

Is this operator error or is something up with the front eccentric adjustment on the caliper?

EDIT: actually, slightly incorrect... both the front and rear Rival calipers do this, but the Tiagra's don't. So at least both the Rival calipers behave the same.

·
Registered
63 Posts
if i understand your post correctly, the lever you have described is to "open up" the brake calipers to get enough clearance for the tire to pass through during wheel removal. centering of the brake calipers should be done with the adjustment screw.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The feature in brakes is to provide added clearance to remove the tires, or for racing to disable or add clearance to a brake when a wheel becomes mis-aligned during an event.

Some QR's were able to work and hold in the mid range, but most were digital, ie. open or closed. You have adjusters for adjusting, save the QR for wheel removal, or as I do on of my utility bikes, use it backward as a parking brake feature.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I open mine up a little sometimes for a fast adjustment, but that's really what the adjustment screw is there for. I guess SRAM decided to use the QR lever for one purpose only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.