Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound stupid, but here goes...

I'd always assumed that the quick release lever on the brake caliper also doubled as an adjustment lever... i.e. you could run it at any position, and I basically treated it like a fine tuner for brakes rather that a quick release. The detents in the lever seemed to support the way I was using it.

I noticed today on my Rival front brakes that if I have that quick release/adjustment lever north of horizontal (i.e. 6 - 12 o'clock) and grab a lot of front brake, it will completely flip to full open under the pressure. What's weird is that the rear brake (also Rival) doesn't do this, nor do my Tiagra's.

Is this operator error or is something up with the front eccentric adjustment on the caliper?

·
Steve
56 Posts
i would use the quick release lever as a quick release lever. use the barrel adjusters to fine tune the appropriate brake clearance. i believe the sram calipers are intended to be used/ridden with the quick release pointed downward (i.e. the 6 o'clock position).

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
I've never felt any QR detents in the dozens of pairs of road bike brakes I've ever owned...the barrrel adjusters are for tuning, and the QR should be used for just that -- getting clearance to get the wheel out.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Definitely not a good idea to use the brake QR as an adjuster. Use the barrel adjusters as pointed out above. Go to this site www.parktools.com and there's an instruction page that will show you how.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
SilverStar said:
I've never felt any QR detents in the dozens of pairs of road bike brakes I've ever owned...the barrrel adjusters are for tuning, and the QR should be used for just that -- getting clearance to get the wheel out.
There were detents on some brake QRs, perhaps no longer. Seems like I noticed detents on 1980's Shimano 105 brakes.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Dura Ace 7800 has detents in the brake releases.

Allows for the use of wheelsets of varying rim widths. Full braking will not move the release further open.

·
Registered
396 Posts
ewitz said:
Dura Ace 7800 has detents in the brake releases.

Allows for the use of wheelsets of varying rim widths. Full braking will not move the release further open.
+1 A very handy feature for moving between 'standard' width wheels and narrow lightweight wheels. All three of my Shimano bikes are DA 7800 equipped, so I assumed their entire line had this feature, not just the 7800. Learn something new every day.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
wim said:
There were detents on some brake QRs, perhaps no longer. Seems like I noticed detents on 1980's Shimano 105 brakes.
That could explain why I've never noticed it...I've never owned Shimano road brakes. The Universal, Weinmann, Modolo, Campy, Dia Compe, Gipiemme and a couple of others didn't have the detents.

What purpose would detents serve, anyway?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
SilverStar said:
What purpose would detents serve, anyway?
See posts 7 and 8 above

Some riders with brake pads very close to the rim open the QR sightly on steep climbs to prevent pad-to-rim contact, then close them again for the descent. On the fly, that's a bit easier than to use the barrel adjusters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts