Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I JUST got some new sexy carbon wheels. I put new brake pads in. I also had to adjust the brakes. I got the front dialed in. The rear has problems:
1) The loosening switch for the caliper can loosen, but when I try to put it back, it stabs into a section of the caliper. The brakes cannot be loosened anymore. What might I have done wrong?

2) The new rear brake pads sometimes stick when engaged (when wheel is spun by hand). Then if I pull on the pad that is stuck, it comes undone, and returns to its resting position.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,566 Posts
worldonastrng said:
Hi. I JUST got some new sexy carbon wheels. I put new brake pads in. I also had to adjust the brakes. I got the front dialed in. The rear has problems:
1) The loosening switch for the caliper can loosen, but when I try to put it back, it stabs into a section of the caliper. The brakes cannot be loosened anymore. What might I have done wrong?

2) The new rear brake pads sometimes stick when engaged (when wheel is spun by hand). Then if I pull on the pad that is stuck, it comes undone, and returns to its resting position.
really hard to tell what's going on by your description of the problem.
1) is the cam sticking? you mean you can open the brake, but can't close it back up w/ the cam?
2) undo the cable and see if it's the brake that's getting stuck or if it might be the cable. take it from there...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) The brake (zeus) has a piece that protrudes when the brake is released by the switch (sorry for my terminology). When I release the brake, no problems. When I try to return it, the sharp end catches. This requires that I loosen the brake by releasing some tension via the cable. However, if I do this, the brake lever/shifter rattles and is too loose. So its a lose/lose situation. Thoughts? Thank you!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2) I tried tightening the cable -- the shifter was rattling, not anymore -- and I still have the same result: the brake pad will sometimes stick to the rim when I spin the wheel by hand.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
For the second problem, it sounds like a 'centering' issue -- the brake spring behind the arms may need to be tweaked, the mounting bolt or brake "axle" bolts may be too tight/misadjusted or if the brakes are dual-pivot, the setscrew that adjusts the centering may need to be played with.

For the first problem, it is difficult to diagnose without a picture of the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts