Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My screws & flat washer for brake cable clamps have started to rust. Mainly, it's an unattractive surface rust, not a safety risk. This is on a 2010-ish Record calipers, but it's the same part# ever since then.

The Campy part sells only as a $25-ish assembly, but I only need the red circled portion.

If the similar looking Shimano clamp screw fits, the 2 x $4 ea is a much better proposition than 2 x $25 ea.

> > Has anyone ever tried substituting the Shimano cable clamp screw & washer?

I have no idea what the Shimano dimensions & screw thread are, and it's not a part the LBS stocks.
FIG. 1 Campy BR-RE310 M5-0.8 thread
Product Line Font Circle Black-and-white

FIG. 2 Shimano Ultegra 6800 cable clamp screws
Product Metal Household hardware Circle Steel

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, appears the Campy & Shimano cable clamp bolts will NOT interchange.

I haven't measured the Shimano bolt directly (only internet searches), and the threads are different:

Campy M5
Shimano M6

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
What??? Put a Shimano part on a Campy brake??? HERESY!!!! BE BANNED!!!!
Especially seeing how it's just because of negligence to begin with.

Hey OP, from now on, take better care of your bike. On those little metal parts that can rust, treat them with Boeshield T9 from now on.

p.s. it cleans rust quite effectively as well.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...Especially seeing how it's just because of negligence to begin with...
Where do you live & ride?!
99% of my rides are always within a few miles of the Pacific Ocean (PV peninsula, Sta Monica Mtns) and I live 1 mile away. ie, there's always some salt aerosols in the air.
The bike typically gets "deep clean" washed once per month, but I believe the surface plating on those 2 bolts was inferior, as no other screws on the bike are showing rust.
I suppose if I had paid double-price for Super Record calipers, then the screws would have been titanium and wouldn't be rusting :-/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts