Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna replace my rear brake cable. Just the cable and the housing part in back, not the part that connects to the shifter/brake lever. Are there any real differences between the different brands?? Or would I be fine w/ whatever's cheaper at the LBS?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Jagwire Racer Kit - Yokozuna Reaction Kit - Alligator iLink Kit - Nokon Kit - Campy Record Kit - Shimano Dura-Ace Kit. All seem to do well. (those are in no particular order)

Remember Cable/Housing affects shifting/braking performance. How much these brands vs the $0.25 / ft. perform may be a YMMV type thing.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
MWPDX said:
I wanna replace my rear brake cable. Just the cable and the housing part in back, not the part that connects to the shifter/brake lever. Are there any real differences between the different brands?? Or would I be fine w/ whatever's cheaper at the LBS?
I've never felt a difference. I suppose you might if you switched the stock housing and cable for a really high-end one, but just running a new cable through the existing housing doesn't seem to matter.
FWIW, I've also never broken a cable in 30 years of cycling. They'll fray at the ends eventually, and I usually replace them when I do a tune-up, but they last essentially forever.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
You're looking for a 6 inch length?

For probably no more than a few bucks, get the best housing available. You'll probably never have to replace it. Look for teflon inner liner. File off both ends and put stainless steel caps on them, so the housing doesn't compress when applying the brake.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have always used shimano SIS cables and shifters, but I am notoriously cheap. I think that inner liner is teflon, but I am not sure. Getting a good square end makes a big difference. Use a file or a grinder. If the lining gets compressed when you cut it open it up with an old spoke. Also you don't need to crimp on the cable ends.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back from the lbs. Not sure what kind it is but they just took a cable and cut some housing and it's waaaay smoother (sp?) than the old one. The cable had all sorts of kinks in it and the housing was rough or rusty or somethin. This should work way better. How important are the metal end cap things?

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
You could probably get by without them.

MWPDX said:
...How important are the metal end cap things?
They seat the cable housing better, so it doesn't squish when you pull the brake lever and put tension on the cable. Half the time, there's a good seat built into the cable stop on the frame or component, sometimes not wide enough for both the cable and cap to fit, in which case you wouldn't need it. It's probably better to have caps on the cable that runs from the back of the top tube to the brake caliper. They'll keep the housing dressed more firmly than without.

Amazing how all that little stuff makes a difference. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm.. well it looks like there's enough housing for at least two 'attempts'. Maybe for now, I'll just leave them off and if it doesn't work or when I have time, I'll get some and put em on there.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
wow...there's all source of bad advice on this thread, most likely from people that aren't mechanics.
1) cables and housing DO wear out. the cables get corrosion and dirt on them, and wear into the liner in the housing. the housing can get kinked or bent, and create drag on the cable that way too. housing will wear from general use. it should be replaced at least yearly for smooth performance.
2) housing should ALWAYS have ferrules (end caps) where it sits in the cables stops on the frame. at least on any frame made in the last 20 years or so.
3) there is in all practicality no need for fancy cable/housing kits, unless some weird routing situation would make nokon a good choice. if you're doing the right thing and replacing the stuff every year (at least) normal shimano or campy stuff works great and is really nice quality.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
cxwrench said:
wow...there's all source of bad advice on this thread, most likely from people that aren't mechanics.
1) cables and housing DO wear out. the cables get corrosion and dirt on them, and wear into the liner in the housing. the housing can get kinked or bent, and create drag on the cable that way too. housing will wear from general use. it should be replaced at least yearly for smooth performance.
2) housing should ALWAYS have ferrules
3) there is in all practicality no need for fancy cable/housing kits, unless some weird routing situation would make nokon a good choice.
This is certainly true for racers and high-mileage riders, but I wonder how applicable it is to the riding most people really do.
Kinked housing is a separate issue--obviously you'd replace that. As I said, though, I've personally never had a cable wear out or break, and I've never found corrosion and dirt beyond about an inch into the housing (I inspect the cables with every tune-up or adjustment; I don't think it's necessary to replace them prophylactically). I always smooth the ends of the housing with a file or Dremel, and I always use ferrules, but I suspect the ferrules are overkill.
Before the days of Teflon liners, I used to replace housing every year or so, but it's just not necessary these days for a rider doing a few hundred or a couple of thousand miles in summer. The housing on my Atlantis has something like 12,000 year-round miles on it, and it still stops and shifts fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts