Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to tuck my brake cables into my bar tape or tuck them down so they aren't protruding so far out? I was looking at my front end and aesthetically I feel there is a lot going on and I would like to clean it up a bit. Purely for looks.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,489 Posts
ya know, maybe if you gave us some details (brand of shifters, type of bar)...maybe even a photo or 2, someone might be able to actually give you some decent advice. :mad2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that wasn't rude or anything. I'm not gonna post up pictures you should be able to figure it out yourself, you are a mechanic right?

2010 tarmac stock,105 shifters/brakes.

·
Registered
21,579 Posts
Visual appeal

Tarmacjack said:
Is there a way to tuck my brake cables into my bar tape or tuck them down so they aren't protruding so far out? I was looking at my front end and aesthetically I feel there is a lot going on and I would like to clean it up a bit. Purely for looks.
If your complaint is that the cable casing bulges under the bar tape, then you can run the casings more toward the bottom of the bar so that the bulge is less visible. Can we assume that your bars don't have cable grooves in them? That would be the long term fix. Thicker bar tape will also lessen the visual effect of the casing bulge. Or you could just go with the "form follows function" concept and stop worrying about it. I doubt if anyone else is worried about how your bars look.

·
15,489 Posts
sorry about that, long day. do you have some set up that is so non standard that you could actually change the normal housing routing? with all modern shifters, the brake housing runs under the bar tape...the only real variable is whether you run it on the back of the bar or the bottom...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's all good. I was just looking at some pics of Andy Schleck and I noticed the front end of his tarmac and his shifter and brake cables were wrapped within his bar tape, then I looked at my tarmac with 105s and noticed my shifter cables come of the side of the shifter. On the specialized website the bikes have them wrapped within the tape as well. I was just wondering if this was something I could do or if anyone knew if my shifters aren't set up for this. I know it doesn't matter but I like the look. I can't get an pics to copy to this page from online sources.

·
15,489 Posts
you must have the older shimano shifters. the newer stuff (7900/6700) has the shifter housing under the bar tape a la campy and sram. no way to do that w/ yours.
this is why i was wondering...in the original post you said brake cables, but obviously you're really talking about shifter cables/housing. for '11 shimano changed 105, it's now like D/A and ultegra w/ both under the tape.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
It can be done with Nokon cables. Erik Zabel used to do it when he raced for T-Mobile. There is still a small loop where they come out the side, but then it goes away under the tape.

·
Registered
922 Posts
cxwrench said:
you must have the older shimano shifters. the newer stuff (7900/6700) has the shifter housing under the bar tape a la campy and sram. no way to do that w/ yours.
this is why i was wondering...in the original post you said brake cables, but obviously you're really talking about shifter cables/housing. for '11 shimano changed 105, it's now like D/A and ultegra w/ both under the tape.
He said he has 105, I don't think the 5600 stuff routes the same way as the 6700/7900. Depending when his 2010 Tarmac was made it probably did not come with 5700 since it was not released until spring of this year.

To the OP, you can use something like the Nokon mentioned above to route them under the tape, but it leaves a loop on the inside area of the shifter that is just perfect for snagging you thumb on when you enter/exit the hoods.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, thanks guys. Sorry for the misinformation in the beginning of this thread. Yeah I do have the older shifters. Oh well I'm cool off potentially getting my fingers caught in some loops near the drops. Thanks for the posts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts