Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using TRP R960 brakes, and I'm having a lot of difficulty with the front caliper binding. (well both are binding actually, but the front is way worse). One side will not spring back open when I pull the brake lever, with the right side brake pad staying stuck against the rim. I have tried completely removed the calipers and lubricating all contact points, to no avail. There seems to be no problem with the spring, as the caliper springs back when squeezed by hand. It only binds up when when mounted to the frame.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Agree on removing the cable, and undo spring. Is there friction? If so, you may need to completely disassemble and clean'lube the pivot pins.

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The cable is new, and smooth. I had to disassemble the caliper and clean and lube everything just to get it to work. I think that an accumulation of road grime had caused the problem. It's ok now, but still doesn't have that same 'springback' that it did when it was new.

·
Super Moderator
40,812 Posts
I'm using TRP R960 brakes, and I'm having a lot of difficulty with the front caliper binding. (well both are binding actually, but the front is way worse). One side will not spring back open when I pull the brake lever, with the right side brake pad staying stuck against the rim. I have tried completely removed the calipers and lubricating all contact points, to no avail. There seems to be no problem with the spring, as the caliper springs back when squeezed by hand. It only binds up when when mounted to the frame.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Have you messed with the adjusting screw on the top of the back brake arm? It centers the brake assembly.

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you messed with the adjusting screw on the top of the back brake arm? It centers the brake assembly.
Yeah, I did and I've got them set up as best that I can

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Id look into the cable housing too.. my rear EE brake suffers from that occasionally and it's always the housing. I use Alcan bunguras and actually removed a few links and it's much better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The cable is new, and smooth. I had to disassemble the caliper and clean and lube everything just to get it to work. I think that an accumulation of road grime had caused the problem. It's ok now, but still doesn't have that same 'springback' that it did when it was new.
Not familiar with that brake, but most brakes allow you to adjust the "tightness" of the brakes so that they spring back easily. Usually a lock nut arrangement somewhere on the brakes for the pivoting parts. Properly adjusted and lubed they should work well with the cables disconnected. If the problem returns when you connect the cables then you know where the problem is.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
That happened on my 6700 brakes and it turned out corrosion at the center pivot, with the brakes removed and pads off I worked it free with wd-40, then flushed with Finish Line Speed bike degreaser and followed up with a couple of drops of light oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts