Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about upgrading from Tektro 530's to Ultegra 6600's or FSA Energy. I'm looking for better braking perfromance, specifically more power from less pull on the lever. I have put new pads in and it helped, but still want more. Anybody have experience with different calipers to advise whether better calipers offer more strenght?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I ended up getting a set of Tektro 530's because of a very limited budget when I was building up my last road bike. Using Ultegra brifters and high quality cables and housing, I have found the 530's to be more than adequate for slowing down my 215lbs. In fact, I was really surprised at their power as it exceeded the canti's on my cross bike.

I figured I would upgrade them when I had a little more cash but now I don't think I will. They have plenty of power, good modulation, and they actually look pretty good.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
carlhulit said:
try new pads first stock tektro pads suck a lot. Get a set of koolstop salmons with the da holders and your power will go up a ton
+111111 !!!!

For several different calipers in my household (inc. a couple Tektros, 105, Ultegra) I've found brake pads are WAY more important than the caliper. You don't say what pads you changed to. Generic or Tektro pads are poor stoppers, and old pads of any brand tend to loose their grip. Try a simple $10 experiment. Get a single pack of Kool-stops (or Shimano DA) pads. Before changing pads, do some hard stops from set speed with your baseline Tektros. Then change front pads and repeat.

I've changed from cheaper Tektro to 105 on one bike & (surprise) found better stopping. Doing the above experiment- the difference upgrading pads is about 90% of the improvement, and upgrading caliper was 10%.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pad upgrade was to Koolstop. I tried Salmon and standard black Koolstop. Found that the blacks work best for my application. I agree they make a big difference, and now am just trying to figure out how much or a difference calipers could make too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Upgrading from stock pads to Kool Stops will be a noticeable difference. However, the calipers themselves also make a difference. I've had Cane Creek and Tektro calipers and upgraded either both calipers or just one to Ultegra level caliper(s) and on each of those occasions, I've noticed an increase in stopping power.

I do realize that the front caliper is more effective in stopping the bike, so I've switched out just the rear for Ultegra/DA and left the front as CC/Tektro. Even then, the difference was noticeable.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
Keep in mind if you're using new wheels and/or pads, there is a break-in period where your braking will suck. I was shocked how bad my brakes were when my bike was new, but they stop me fine now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Every now and then I clean off my rims with a bit of degreaser on a paper towel and am amazed at the amount of black greasy crud that comes off supposedly "clean" looking rims. I also take the opportunity to clean the road grit off the pads. Lots of dirt tend to build up in the grooves in the kool stop pads. Some folks even take a bit of emory cloth lightly to a spinning rim to knock down the grooves they get from the grit in the pads. You'd be amazed at how hard your bike will stop when all the braking surfaces are clean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.