Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to attempt to install new brake and gear cables on my TCR2 but not sure which ones to go with.

Nashbar brand - $6.00

Dura Ace - $24.00

Nokon Alumimun - $105.00

The newest trendy Nokon's are out of the question. Dura Ace seems to be a safe bet. Nashbar just seems to damn cheap. Any other recommendations out there? And do you really need the special cable cutters or will wire cutters or a razor blade work ok?

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
. I have found that the Shimano Cable cutters are a real good buy for the $$ and do a real good job. If you usa a set of standard diagonals you will probably split the plastic cover over the metal part of the housing. They will last a real long time and look good on the bench.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
007webgod said:
Going to attempt to install new brake and gear cables on my TCR2 but not sure which ones to go with.

Nashbar brand - $6.00

Dura Ace - $24.00

Nokon Alumimun - $105.00

The newest trendy Nokon's are out of the question. Dura Ace seems to be a safe bet. Nashbar just seems to damn cheap. Any other recommendations out there? And do you really need the special cable cutters or will wire cutters or a razor blade work ok?
I use the Dura Ace cable on all my bikes. They work very well. If you don't want to invest in the expensive cable cutters, you can use wire cutters to cut the housing but insert an old cable in the housing first. If you don't, you'll crimp the end of the housing and you'll never get the new cables through. After you cut the cable run some superglue over the end. It keeps the cable from fraying.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
The Shimano stuff is fine cables and housings - I also have bought the Quality Bicycle Products (QBP) lined housings and cables from my LBS and have had no issues with them either. If you want colored housing, your LBS probably will have a choice of black or black. Some will have grey to match DA/XTR and mine (a very small shop) surprised me a few weeks ago when I went in to get some parts for my 80's fixed gear project - white housing. Loose Screws (http://www.loosescrews.com) has housings in all kinds of colors as does Branford Bike (http://www.branfordbike.com) I've ordered from both with great success.

OK, back to your question. For cutting housing, I use a Dremel tool. Put in an old piece of cable and use the Dremel with a cut-off wheel. Very clean cuts (no filing) and the piece of cable keeps the liner from melting closed. Most cutters I have used (except Shimano) tend to mangle the housing a bit. For cable, a cutter by Wrench Force, Pedro's, Shimano or Park will be fine. You can use diagonal cutters, but they tend to mash the cable and make the end messy. Superglue or a cable cap usually covers up any stray strands. This is definetely not a necessity to have the bike-specific cutters, but as Curly said they sure are a 'nice to have' item.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Quality Teflon cables by QBP

See if your LBS has QBP cables. Quality makes some nice teflon coated cables and housing sets that are quite a bit cheaper than the Dura-Ace stuff and works just as well.

As for cutting cables and housing... how many sets do you plan to install in your lifetime (or at least the next few years?) If you are going to do a few sets go ahead and get some good cable cutters. I personally have 2 pairs, a set of Shimano cutters which work better on housing (you will need these for SIS housing) and a set of Park cutters which work better on cables. Lucky for me I work in a shop so both pairs cost me about what one pair cost a consumer. But the Shimano ones are best for housing and the Parks best for cables. If you are going to do this often, get both. If you only need to cut housing once and cables once, skip it. I would tell you to take the old housing off your bike and go to the LBS and ask them to cut you housing in those same lengths. Most shops charge by the foot for housing and they will have to cut you a couple pieces anyways, so just have them cut you the right length. The shop I am at charges $.50 for each cut after the first, but we also will debur the housing and grind it smooth for you too. That is a little more important with brake housing because of the way it is coiled. It will tend to crimp in when you cut it, but you can use the advice from Dave and put a cable in it to prevent that.

Russ

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Not to hi-jack the thread but...

Has anyone tried out the Airborne Flyte Line Cable/Housing combo. $15 from Airborne seems like a good deal...

http://www.airborne.net/eready/janette/store/components.asp

I suspect that Jagwire probably makes it? Anyone?

FWIW... I second Russ's comment about the teflon covered QBP cables. Good stuff...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about Le Tour brand?

http://www.branfordbike.com/brake/brk5.html

Anybody have experience with the "Le Tour" brand? It comes in yellow and is about the same price as the ugly grey Dura Ace.

I don't want to put out $30 for a tool I'll use for one bike maybe once a year. On the other hand I don't want to just take it to the LBS and have them do it cause I still won't know how to do it and won't learn anything.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Catch-22

You are gonna be in a bind then... just let the LBS do it, but watch them. Or ask them if you can cut it to the right length when you buy it. If you don't have the tool, you don't have the tool. There is no real reason to half-a$& the job because you want to do it yourself but without the right tool. Either buy the tool or let someone with the right tool do it for you, and do it right. Ask around at your group rides... somebody has the tool and they will surely teach you how to do it. Just don't let the pride of wanting to do it yourself get in the way of having the job done correctly.

Russ

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
russw19 said:
You are gonna be in a bind then... just let the LBS do it, but watch them. Or ask them if you can cut it to the right length when you buy it. If you don't have the tool, you don't have the tool. There is no real reason to half-a$& the job because you want to do it yourself but without the right tool. Either buy the tool or let someone with the right tool do it for you, and do it right. Ask around at your group rides... somebody has the tool and they will surely teach you how to do it. Just don't let the pride of wanting to do it yourself get in the way of having the job done correctly.

Russ
Yea, I was thinking about asking if I could watch as they do it at the LBS, or better yet, do the work myself with supervision, but thought that might be a no no. I know the owner somewhat so he might let me or he might just give me the "insurance line" too.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Cheap Guy's Reply

e-bay: Icycleusa has 30 foot lengths of shimano housing up ALL THE TIME for about $20 / $26 with shipping. That's enough to do your bike probably five times. This "plain" shimano housing vs. DA? Never noticed a difference. Actually I doubt there is a difference except for the fact that the DA housing is grey and says dura ace on it.

REI: REI sells generic Avenir cables for $1 each. New cable plus new housing = good shifting. Personally, rather than go through the hassle of lubing my fancy cables, I've found that changing out my cables completely every six months with the cheap stuff results in way better shifting.

Basically if you buy in this way it works out to $7 per cable change ($2 for cables, $5 for housing).

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
russw19 said:

Russ
I have the Park cable cutters and quite frankly a quality pair of snub nose wire cutters works better IMHO. The Park cable cutters don't leave a squared off end when cutting cable housing. Sometimes I do the initial cut with the Park cutters and trim it up with the snub nose cutters. Sometimes I just use the snub nose cutters and nothing else. Regardless of which cutter I use, I have to "squeeze" the ovalization, that's created by the cutting action, out of the housing to make the end round again. In any event, the snub nose cutters work better than anything else for cutting cable. They make a nice clean unfrayed snip. YMMV.

Bryan

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have used a pair of "HIT" cable cutters for over 10 years. They work best when a piece of old cable is inserted in the housing so it doesn't crush the liner. They make a very clean cut on Dura Ace brake cables.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Steve-O said:
Has anyone tried out the Airborne Flyte Line Cable/Housing combo. $15 from Airborne seems like a good deal...

http://www.airborne.net/eready/janette/store/components.asp

I suspect that Jagwire probably makes it? Anyone?

FWIW... I second Russ's comment about the teflon covered QBP cables. Good stuff...
I installed the Airborne cables last winter. Rode about 3000 miles without a problem, didnt have to adjust my derailleur once after original dial-in. I'd give them a definite thumbs-up

·
Registered
344 Posts
007webgod said:

Nashbar brand - $6.00

Dura Ace - $24.00

Nokon Alumimun - $105.00

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...and Housing&tc=Brake Sets&item_id=JW-BUSS/KIT

or

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...nd Housing&tc=Derailleur Sets&item_id=AC-2000

And yes, cable housing cutters are essential. You can't cut the housings with wire cutters. . You'll cut the cables in a way that leaves the individual strands frayed. Wire cutters are designed to crush a single strand of wire only, pinching it till it breaks off. If you try to cut housing with them, you'll do even worse. The wire cutters will crush the end of the housing closed. Trying to cut cables with a razor is like trying to cut rope with a butter knife.

Keep in mind there is a difference between cable cutters and cable&housing cutters. Cable-only cutters don't open wide enough to cut the larger diameter housings. If you plan on working on your bike yourself, you really have to invest in a pair. If yo try to use wire cutters, you'll ruin the cables and housings. You'll have to pay for a new pair. So a decent pair of cutters will actually save you money. Here's a link to a good quality pair.

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...ools&sc=Cable and Housing&tc=&item_id=HT-HWC6.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Cutting cable & housing

Guys...

You can cut the cables & housing fine with a good set of wire cutters. It takes some elbow grease but it won't fray the housing and you don't have to worry about pinching the metal inside the plastic housing.

You just stick a needle into the metal strands in the housing and use it to open them back up. I thought this was common knowledge? I was told this at the LBS and Shimano has it in their technical instructions. Even if you are using specialized cutters you're still supposed to do it. It helps keep the housing from fraying the cable.

I would still like to get some good specific cutters anyway just cause it is faster.

Ben

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
curlybike said:
. I have found that the Shimano Cable cutters are a real good buy for the $$ and do a real good job. If you usa a set of standard diagonals you will probably split the plastic cover over the metal part of the housing. They will last a real long time and look good on the bench.
I can vouch for the Shimano cutters being a good buy. I bought mine sometime close to 10 years ago and they're just now needing a little sharpening.

As for what's best for cables, I think the Quality branded rolled cables are a great thing. They've smoothed the outsides of the strands to make it slicker.

As for housing, I've always run Shimano. Seems to work well. Since I have a cable cutter, I've always just gone to the wrenches and asked them for X feet and cut to suit my application. The only pre-cut stuff I've ever gotten was from STI install leftovers.

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
They both work fine

I like the Shimano cables. I think Icycles.com has good prices. They even sell bulk cables and those little cable end parts you cannot find when you need them. I have also used the Nashbar and other generic cables and have no complaints. I would shop on price unless the name is important to you.

On cable cutters, a good wire cutter will work fine but you need to have something in there to keep the housing from crushing. You will also need a file. to get the end of the housing square and flat. If you do not have a good wire cutter you may as well get a special tool. They cost about the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts