Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Cycle Boy
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
file://localhost/Users/pllim/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2010/Aug%209,%202010_2/photo.jpg

I can't figure out the best colored hoods for my vintage bikey....any suggestions and where to get what you suggested? :)

black? white? brown?

thanks!!!!!

·
Teach me how to Bucky
465 Posts
One of my bikes came with white bar tape. Looked cool for about a week. Now it is just a beast to keep clean. Just white hoods might be easier to clean.

Black is very practical.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I'm honestly going to start a campaign to refute this myth about white bar tape...

I have white tape on a bike with 4000 miles on it. The tape is still pretty darn new looking. I wash it about once a week with a rag and some dish soap. It isn't pristine, but it still looks darn good.

Sure, black is more practical, I'd agree with that. But white tape can work just fine if you clean it once and awhile.

I also have a bike with white tape and hoods. Both still look great after 3000 miles.

I don't know if you folks have dirty hands or sweat brown perspiration, but white tape can be kept white with a bit of care.

·
Cycle Boy
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here we go people...finally! :) the original link was hosted on my HD. no way anyone would have seen it without being on my network.

Anyways here's the pics. I'm looking forward to comments!

·
Folsom City Blues...
3,392 Posts
I think it's perfect the you have now, I wouldn't change a thing.

Peace :cool:

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Black or gum. White would look bad. That's a nice looking bike you have, nice bar tape and saddle too. I'd take off the rear reflector and put toe clips on it. Guess it's a tad too big for you by looking at the saddle heigth?

·
Registered
76 Posts
agree with Elfstone - looks great as-is. The shiny metal surface on hoods & brake levers tie in with other areas on bike having same surface. ie fork ends, rear chain stays, rear main stays.

·
What the what???
12,714 Posts
Black would work best as a compliment to the frame. Otherwise, possibly a light gray (since silver or chrome isn't really an option).

I agree, though, that it looks good as-is.

G

·
nayr497 said:
I'm honestly going to start a campaign to refute this myth about white bar tape...

I have white tape on a bike with 4000 miles on it. The tape is still pretty darn new looking. I wash it about once a week with a rag and some dish soap. It isn't pristine, but it still looks darn good.

Sure, black is more practical, I'd agree with that. But white tape can work just fine if you clean it once and awhile.

I also have a bike with white tape and hoods. Both still look great after 3000 miles.

I don't know if you folks have dirty hands or sweat brown perspiration, but white tape can be kept white with a bit of care.
I think it depends on what type of tape you use. If it's the "cloth" type with a nap finish, then it will pick up dirt and stains much faster than if it's the smooth type. I prefer the cloth type because after a long time on the saddle, I tend to get tired and my hands like to slip too much on the smooth type. I put red tape on my bike about a month ago and it's already looking pretty nasty. I think my gloves may have contributed a bit to that as well, but I do ride alot and tend to sweat a lot when it's hot (especially when climbing and I do a lot of climbing).

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
SROC3 said:
file://localhost/Users/pllim/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2010/Aug%209,%202010_2/photo.jpg

I can't figure out the best colored hoods for my vintage bikey....any suggestions and where to get what you suggested? :)

black? white? brown?

thanks!!!!!
I didn't look at the link nor read the thread. But I have to post.

Has it really come to this? Color of brake hoods is an important decision that one would fret and ask advice about? Too old for this $hit :)

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Whatever tape your using on your bars wrapped around the hoods will do pretty well. Nice looking bike but really who the heck will see your hoods critically when you're riding?

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
velodog said:
Gum would be the only way to go.
:thumbsup:

That is, IF you need something on them- they really do look great "as is".
White, IMO, would look awful, since it wouldn't match anything.

(My original snarky comment was going to be "Liquigas flourescent green!!!")

·
Cycle Boy
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The final solution - Thanks Everyone!!!

So this is what i decided on - Brown/Tan hood from Cane Creek. I was going to wait for the black one but my hands were hurting and I thought, why not try it out?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
nayr497 said:

I recently bought a new bike and it came with white tape. I thought, "Oh well, I'll just leave it on until I get to the bike store & buy some black tape. After having ridden it for ~2,000 mi. it still looks extremely good. Like nayr497 says, if you clean it once per week or so it's easy to keep it looking nice. If you let it go for a month to 6 weeks it might not be so easy. I never would have been sold on white tape if my new bike didn't come with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts