Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've tried out the bullhorn option for about 1,236 miles and cannot do it anymore, the lack of hand position options are killing me. So i'm going back to road handlebars but i need to buy some brake levers for it(kilo didn't come with them) I'm looking at best overall value and comfort, at bikeisland the tektro's are only 25$

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1066

are these a good value/comfort? I would like an all black set but the others on the websites that are black are supposedly designed for small hands(i have big hands):mad2: anyone know of a relatively cheap set of levers in all black that are comfy? thanks people!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
They are very comfy....I have two pairs.....The hoods are actually pretty thick compared to the SLR brake levers of Shimano...... I really like them... I bought mine on eBay for about the same price...Cane Creek makes a version of them too

As for the small hands, there used to be two versions of this brake.. One was for small hands( the lever was closer to the hood) and one for regular hands...I have them both and really couldn't tell the difference

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, cause bikeisland has an all blackset tektro that i think would look pretty nice on my blck kilo withh white handlebar tape, but it states it's for small hands. I just didn't wanna get them and to find out my hand swallows the entire hood/lever.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
jmio said:
ok, cause bikeisland has an all blackset tektro that i think would look pretty nice on my blck kilo withh white handlebar tape, but it states it's for small hands. I just didn't wanna get them and to find out my hand swallows the entire hood/lever.

You shouldn't have a problem....The hoods are the same. The lever is a little closer to the hood to accomodate shorter fingers

Jensen has them for $17.99, in both black and silver..don't know about shipping cost

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BL407D06-Tektro+R200A+Ergo+Brake+Levers.aspx?sc=FRGL

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah, I've ordered a bunch of stuff from JensonUSA. Good company. Had I known about those levers, I would've ordered them (they're Campy clones, aren't they?). Instead, I went with Nashbar's. They're not bad, either. My only complaint is that I'm only running a front brake, which leaves the right lever as a dummy lever. The little cable stop thing (don't know the name) rattles like crazy. Very annoying. Trying to find a remedy.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
palu said:
Yeah, I've ordered a bunch of stuff from JensonUSA. Good company. Had I known about those levers, I would've ordered them (they're Campy clones, aren't they?). Instead, I went with Nashbar's. They're not bad, either. My only complaint is that I'm only running a front brake, which leaves the right lever as a dummy lever. The little cable stop thing (don't know the name) rattles like crazy. Very annoying. Trying to find a remedy.

If you are talking about the dummy lever rattling, put some silicone inside the lever housing around the cable stop

·
Registered
420 Posts
No, it wouldn't leave it closed. We're just talking about the little piece inside of the lever that holds the cable. Good idea about the silicone.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
GeoKrpan said:
The Tektro levers work well and they are much better looking than the Shimanos.
That's 'cause they look like Campy's levers :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've got the cane creeks on one bike, and they're nice. I dont like the hoods pattern detail (for looks), but the actual shape is nice and they have a quality feel.

I've got tektro's on another bike, which are also nice, but don't feel/look as good as the cane creeks (also dont know if I can get brown hoods for the tektros like I can for the cane creeks?)

I did buy a campy record (10spd) carbon brake only (same shape as the ergo, but just brake) lever for a future build on ebay ... however it's just one lever ... so still need to find a matching lever.

So;

1) campy carbon
2) cane creek
3) tektro

-chris

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
tektro makes cane creek brakes and levers... exactly the same except for cosmetics on most models

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
FatTireFred said:
tektro makes cane creek brakes and levers... exactly the same except for cosmetics on most models
While this is true there are a couple Tektro models... the RL520 are Shimano clones and narrow on the top (ouch) while the R200 (same as the Cane Creek) are Campy clones (wide and comfortable.)

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
asterisk said:
While this is true there are a couple Tektro models... the RL520 are Shimano clones and narrow on the top (ouch) while the R200 (same as the Cane Creek) are Campy clones (wide and comfortable.)

hence 'most'... couldn't tell which model that poster was talking about

1 - 18 of 18 Posts