Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mounting up my first pair of carbon tubulars, and would like to know what pads I should run? Wheels are Reynolds Stratus DV, brakes are Campy Chorus. I was thinking about just getting another set of Campy brake pads and installing those for when I run the carbon wheels (race-day only). I have heard to stay away from cork. Will the campy idea work?

·
Tourist
989 Posts
koolstop makes a set of 'carbon friendly' pads (rubber). I have them and they work well. From what I've read, the risk if you use regular pads, is that they don't dissipate enough energy and they can melt. Is this true, I have no idea.
I know also that Zipp has special pads for carbon (rubber, too)

Pierre

·
Registered
498 Posts
I also use the kool stops for carbon on Hyperons.
Thanks to Juanmoretime who suggested them.
Many folks love the yellow swiss stops too.
But for my wheels the squealed really bad no matter what I did.

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
flying said:
I also use the kool stops for carbon on Hyperons.
Thanks to Juanmoretime who suggested them.
Many folks love the yellow swiss stops too.
But for my wheels the squealed really bad no matter what I did.
Go Koolstop. They work well and give you squeal free braking. I don't think other pad materials melt. I think the durometer of the pad designed for carbon wheels is having the pad wear faster instead of your expensive carbon rim.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
stratus dv user

I've been using stratus dv wheels (tubulars) for 3 seasons now- when I checked w/ reynolds, they recommended kool-stops, but only because they're widely available- as one of their customer service people told me- they squeal like pigs and dont work so well. If found this to be true.
They actually suggested using normal dura ace pads, which worked nicely- when I switched to zero gravity brakes, I tried the black pads, which I believe are made by kool stop-- they were actually worse than the original kool stop pads I had tried.
I was going to try the campy carbon pads, which reynolds says work best, when I stumbled on swisstop yellow pads- they've worked the best for me.
I know some people swear by their kool stop pads, but I hated them when I used them on my clinchers, I hated them more on my tubulars and overall I feel their an inferior product. Quite simply- their stopping power sucks.
I would go w/ the swissstops or w/ the campy pads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.