Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings everyone

after 2+ years my Koolstop pink Salmon pads look like need replacing.

I have aluminum rims with clinchers, group-set and brakes are Shimano Ultegra 10-speed, 2010 model.

I find them OK pads, better than 2012 Shimano pads they replaced (more so in wet!!) but I am always looking out for better, just in case.

What is the latest tech for best stopping brake pads for aluminium clincher rims in wet and in dry weather? Still full-pink salmon Koolstop or something else perhaps?

I don't care about the price or longevity, what I need are the best stopping power for wet and for dry conditions because I do regular descending on 8%-10% with hair-pin turns.

thanks

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I don't care about the price or longevity, what I need are the best stopping power for wet and for dry conditions
As far as I know Koolstop salmon are still the best, though some folks around here like the more expensive SwissStop. I have not tried those. Koolstop have been working for me for 40 years or so.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Unlike almost everyone else, I wasn't very impressed with the Koolstop Salmon pads. They worked better than most other pads in the wet, but not the best I have tried.

Currently I am using SwissStop Flash Pro GHP II (the green ones). These feel rather worse than the Koolstops in the dry, but better in the wet. Also, I have seen less grey gunk on the rims after riding in the rain, which must mean less rim wear. They are rather expensive though.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I've used the KoolStop salmon pads for a long time. Last time I bought KoolStop combo black/salmon pads. They work well & I don't notice much, if any, difference between them & the all salmon pads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.