Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am jumping on the Kool Stop bandwagon. I bought some Salmon Supras for my road bike, and would like to do the same for my cross/winter bike.

I'm running newer XT canti brakes, and want to know which pads from Kool Stop will fit the existing pad holder. Would the v-brake version work for me? I don't see any canti specific versions, except ones with permanent mounting hardware, which I would prefer to avoid.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Shimano discontinued the XT Canti's sometime around 1997 so I'm not sure exactly what a "newer" set are like. I have a set of 1995ish XT canti's that I use on my cross bike and I use the now discontinued WTB Razorblade pads. The Kool Stop equivelant would be their Thineline Cantilever pad. Kool Stop never made replacement pads for the XT (or STX-RC, LX, or XTR) canti pad holders. The Eagle Claw 2 was the replacement pad of choice back in the mid-90's when we all used canti's before V-brakes and Discs on our mountain bikes.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I thought they were newer, perhaps NOS. I'll need to check when I get home, perhaps they are XTR. I thought I remembered seeing Cantis in that line pretty recently.

Regardless... thinlines or Eagle Claw 2

I also noticed a "mountain" pad that looked interesting. Might have to investigate those more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.