Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a set of Reynolds MV32t wheels in today. What's are some good brake pads to use for carbon wheels? Are there any brands to avoid? I'm using Campy Record brakes from year 2000.

Thanks

i.s.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
il sogno said:
I'm getting a set of Reynolds MV32t wheels in today. What's are some good brake pads to use for carbon wheels? Are there any brands to avoid? I'm using Campy Record brakes from year 2000.

Thanks

i.s.
The recommended pads are swiss stop yellows and Kool stop carbon pads. the swiss stops seem to get the nod.

What brake pads do you recommend for Reynolds Carbon wheels?
We recommend Swiss Stop Yellow King Compound carbon brake pads. We also recommend Kool Stop black carbon specific brake pads. Cork pads may not be used with Reynolds carbon wheels and using them will void your warranty.

I have a set of the MV32C's on the way (I wimped out on the tubies).

I'm considering installing a set of shimano brake shoes on my campy brakes so I can swap pads more easily when I swap wheels. I know the pads are supposed to be tight, but holy crap.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Swiss Stop Yellow Kings are hands down the best! Not necessarily the longest lasting pads, but offer the best modulation on carbon rims. Been using them for a couple of years & love 'em. Way better than the Zipp carbon pads.

Also, the most recent Velo News had an article on carbon climbing wheels in the Tour, and in their test basically all the wheels performed best when used with those pads.

G

·
I used the yellow kings when I had DV46's, give them a little bit of break in period, I wasn't very happy with the braking at first but after a little time it got much better. I didn't think they ever worked as well as yellow kings on Zipps but the Reynolds got to where they were ok.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I tried the swiss stop my reynolds and was unimpressed. The pads were really soft and performed terribly in the rain. When I took them out there was all kinds of little pieces impregnated in them (I only used carbon wheels). I have had great success with the reynolds pads, they seem like a good pad to me and are priced well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't have much experience with the performance of the Swiss Stop Yellow Kings in the rain, as I try not to ride my carbon wheels in the wet- they have pretty inconsistent braking characteristics as is to be expected for carbon wheels.

I did give the Velo News article I mentioned earlier another look today (vol 37/#14), and I found I made an incorrect statement. The Reynolds wheel they tested with the Swissstop pads actually didn't do well with those pads. So perhaps Swiss stop is not the pad for Reynolds, though they work great on Zipps and other carbon wheels. If the Reynolds pads work then by all means use 'em!

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I tried a set of the Kool Stop carbon pads on my Reynolds carbon rims. They were utter garbage. The pads were noticeably worn and parts were missing(!) after an hour and a half easy ride with no descents to speak of. And by the end of the ride they were squealing terribly.

At least they didn't mar the rims.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The yellow swiss stops do stop great, but they still squeal under hard braking. I've hear sanding, setting the toe in, and just wearing them in will eliminate the problem, but it hasn't thus far. I have ~2000 miles on my Reynolds DV46Cs and Yellow Swiss Stop pads.

Anyone know how to get rid of the squeal?

G

·
Wearing them in was how I got it to go away, but the braking performance was still below that of the yellow pads on Zipps (the only carbon wheels I can compare to). The squeal is ear piercing isn't it?

·
Registered
674 Posts
The pads that Reynolds sells as their own are actually Kool Stops (they are marked that way). I found they stopped adequately BUT they squeal like BANSHEES!!!!!!! I finally decided to use them only on my aluminum wheels where they have performed admirably.

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
Supposedly you can get rid of squeal by toeing the pads in a little. I use the method they show on the park tools website of wrapping a rubber band around the part of the brake that you want further from the rim. Not sure if it's actually effective because I've been using Zipp pads w/Zipp wheels for a while & they didn't really squeal in the first place.

I'm switching to some Swiss Stop yellows, though after reading the VeloNews article.

G

·
I never really noticed any squealing with Zipp wheels and swisstop yellow pads. One of the first races I took my Reynolds wheels to was the Ride to live outside of Birmingham and my wheels were screaming like a banshee every time I rolled back down the hill into the parking lot by the course.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I replaced my Kool Stop Carbon pads yesterday with the Swiss Stop Yellow. What a difference. The Kool Stop pads were considerably better than the Shimano Carbon and the Swiss Stop are even better than the Kool Stop pads.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Supposedly you can get rid of squeal by toeing the pads in a little. I use the method they show on the park tools website of wrapping a rubber band around the part of the brake that you want further from the rim. Not sure if it's actually effective because I've been using Zipp pads w/Zipp wheels for a while & they didn't really squeal in the first place.

I'm switching to some Swiss Stop yellows, though after reading the VeloNews article.
Actually, proper toe-in is the proper way to cure squeals on any type of pads , not just carbon specific ones. However, these were toed-in properly. The squealing surfaced anytime that you applied the brakes for more than 2-3 seconds at a time. I guess the pads just got too hot and started squealing cause once they started screaming, even the slightest brake application (before they cooled off) would produce the squeal.

I tell you, that squeal was LOUD!!!! I did not make too many friends at races when that happened.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.