Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recentley purchased bontrager race x lite carbon rims and i have full 105 components. I am wondering what brake pads will work with the carbon rims and regular alumminum rims. Or do i have to switch brake pads when i want to use the carbon rims. Since i only use them for races. I used the regular 105 brake pads for the race today and the front wheel was shuddering when i hit the brakes.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Stumpyracing1111 said:
I recentley purchased bontrager race x lite carbon rims and i have full 105 components. I am wondering what brake pads will work with the carbon rims and regular alumminum rims. Or do i have to switch brake pads when i want to use the carbon rims. Since i only use them for races. I used the regular 105 brake pads for the race today and the front wheel was shuddering when i hit the brakes.

I'll tell you that you should switch the pads but please use the search feature for more in depth info. from the many past threads on this topic. Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You want to switch pads for sure unless your wheels have an aluminum braking surface. If you pull your pads off and look, you'll see they pick up some aluminum flecks. Those flecks are going to be harder then carbon on the rim surface, so when you brake you will be wearing away your rims pretty fast.

Kool Stop makes some pads that work great for Carbon rims. Reynolds recommends them and I like them a lot. The pads are easiest to replace with the wheels off, just loosen the retainer screw, slides the old ones out, slide the new ones in, tighten up and you are good to go. $20 will set up your bike and it takes less then 2 minutes to change out the pads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts