Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what would be the best solution for brake pads with a Reynolds carbon sidewall and Avid cross brakes? The stock avid brake pads screech WAY too loud and dont event really work. Please advise...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That's mainly the brake that's causing the problem- it's very difficult to get those avids to stop howling. Different pads may or may not help with this.

I've used regular old black Kool-Stops with no problems and good braking performance on carbon rims for the last few years. The reason for the special pads on carbon is that on long descents, the carbon makes the regular pad really hot and the performance of the brake is affected. For cross, this is not a problem (no descending, rain/mud/snow to cool things down, etc.).

The solution is- get different cantis.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
I have reynolds wheels for my roadbike- I know a lot of people on this forum swear by their kool stops, but I hate the freaking things and they squealed louder than anything on my rims, not to mention they worked like crap.
I switched to swissstop pads-- they make pads for carbon rims-- they're all I use now, but I havent seen them for your brakes-- they do have them in regular and ceramic compound-- check out:

http://www.helvetiasports.com/HSP/mtnCat.aspx?pn=3

that's their North America distributor-- if you cant find a dealer, I think they'll sell direct. email them.
I would also call reynolds and check w/ them-- I remember them telling me brake pads for ceramic rims would also work well on their rims, but I'd doublecheck that one w/ them before I tried anything!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Jagwire is producing a new (cyclocross specific more or less) brake pad that I believe will be available by this fall. The pads are made for canti brakes and have inserts for carbon rims. I'll have some in hand shortly. I'll let you know how they work if interested....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.