Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wonder what options do i have for brake pads on niobium rims? im currently using kool-stop salmon, but are just about shot. my lbs doesn't carry salmons, they do have the black ones. will these work as well without being abrasive on rims? thanks

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Salmon is a good all around choice. If your LBS carries Kool Stop, wonder if they wouldn't order some Salmons for you? If not, Black is a good second choice. I did try some Swiss Stop Greens on mine one time and didn't like the wet braking. Also, while using those, I picked up some gravel in the grooves on a wet ride that scored one of my rims pretty badly. Have ridden the Salmons in the rain and didn't have that issue. Could have just been bad luck with the Swiss Stops, but they costs over twice as much as Kool Stop and I haven't used them since.

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
I've had great success using stock Campagnolo pads, as well as black Kool Stop pads with my Niobium rims. I've also used, and really liked the salmon/black combination Kool Stop pads, but they are harder to find. I ordered my last set from ebay.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
piano said:
I've had great success using stock Campagnolo pads, as well as black Kool Stop pads with my Niobium rims. I've also used, and really liked the salmon/black combination Kool Stop pads, but they are harder to find. I ordered my last set from ebay.
cool, thanks. going to try the black Kool Stops since my LBS has them in stock.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Most anything will work ok when it's dry... but if it rains, and you use your brakes a lot, then you'll wish you had Salmons.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you can't get the salmon, Koolstop black are the next best thing.

I don't know why it's so hard to find salmon. Everyone, on the net anyway, seems to agree they're the best, but bike shops in their infinite wisdom never seem to have them.

Campy pads are about as good.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
This is strange. I've had good luck with the salmons in the past, but just did a long ride in the rain with some brand new salmon pads and nearly new XR200 rims, and there was a lot of "aluminum mud" caked on the calipers when I got done. The sound whenever I used the brakes seemed very abrasive. I inspected the pads when I cleaned the bike and they are fine... no embedded metal shavings or anything. I'm guessing that the wet grit from the road got in there and messed things up, and there probably isn't anything that can be done about that.

·
Registered
604 Posts
cpark said:
OEM Shimano pads work great for my set.
While they work well make sure that they're not damaging the rim. The OEM Shimano pads are a very abrasive compound and can do a lot of damage to any rim. The Salmon Kool Stop pads won't damage the rim at all and still work very well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I tried Swissstop green pads for a while and switched back to Kool Stop dual compound pads. Compared to the DC pads, the greens worked as well in wet weather, were not quite as good in dry, and they picked up more metal flakes than the Kool Stops did. There's nothing wrong with them, but the KS performance and price is tough to beat.

Since I never know when to quit the next pad I'll try is the Velo Orange squeal-free pad...after which I'll probably go back to KS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts