Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm comparing cx bikes and wondering if hydraulic is superior to mechanical disc brakes, specifically Shimano BR-RS785 Hydraulic Disc and TRP Spyre Mechanical dual actuated disc? Thank you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
mmbuckwa, I have used both. Cable (mechanical) disc brakes are "simpler" in terms of set up but depending on conditions, may require cable adjustment during rides/races as pads wear. Mechanical discs are not real complicated, they do have a learning curve but provide better braking with less effort. Pads adjust as they wear and to rebleed the brakes requires a tool, but is pretty simple to perform yourself when it has to be done. I use hydraulic and would never go back to mechanical.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
I rode a loaner Giant Defy with TRP Spyre's for two days and couldn't believe how crappy they were. I even rechecked cable pull etc and they still were terrible, my Shimano Dura Ace rim calipers were way better. I have discs on all my mtb's and my cross bike, all hydraulic, no way I would ever run mechanicals.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use TRP spyre, be sure to have compressionless cables and organic pads. Brake performance increase a lot with this setup.
Sure Hydraulic are better... But I had a crash and left lever was broken... With mechanical brake a Force x1 lever it cost 60 Eur... With Hydraulic 350 Eur...
If You have not budget problem go Hydraulic :)

For now I'm satisfied with mechanical performance, in Cx is enough. On the road Hydraulic of course.

Inviato dal mio MotoG3 utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
902 Posts
my Shimano Dura Ace rim calipers were way better.
Then either the setup was not correct or the pads were toast as there is no way the DA rim calipers on my road bike could match the braking of the Spyres on a bumpy, wet, muddy cross course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.