Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building up my Steamroller with a Surly flip/flop hub. I plan on riding this thing in the mountains so the ss with brake will be used.

I have a spare drop bar and a knock-off Albatross (not a moustache).

The Albatross is being pulled from an old Schwinn Mixte. It comes straight across from the stem, then pulls back a little, so you can ride with your hands straight on both sides of the stem, I like this position since I climb and do double centuries.....

anyway...

What are my brake options for the front? For the drop bar I was thinking simple brake levers, with the rear lever having no cable. Is there a front lever/hood where the cable can be routed under the bar tape?

And for the Albatross bar, what single brake lever can i pair with this, on the end of the bar, not the middle? I don't know if this set-up will be 'the one', so I dont' want to spend a ton on this lever. Can this lever be routed under the bar tape as well?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
RedRex said:
What are my brake options for the front? For the drop bar I was thinking simple brake levers, with the rear lever having no cable. Is there a front lever/hood where the cable can be routed under the bar tape?
There are lots of options. Pretty much all the "plain" (i.e., with out integrated shifters) levers made now have cable routing under the tape. It was called "aero" when they came out, and we though they were pretty cool.

Price ranges run from way cheap, to not-so-cheap
http://www.lickbike.com/sectionsublist.aspx?SECTION='0007'&SUBSECTION='150'&SECTIONNAME='Brakes'&SUBSECTIONNAME='LEVERS'

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roadfix,

On that moustache, where are your hands "most" of the time? What scares me about a moustache, I "like" the back of my Nitto Noodles on my road bike, both sides of the stem. I instinctively reach for that position and the moustache doesn't really have that option, I think.

·
hello
3,395 Posts
RedRex said:
Roadfix,

On that moustache, where are your hands "most" of the time? What scares me about a moustache, I "like" the back of my Nitto Noodles on my road bike, both sides of the stem. I instinctively reach for that position and the moustache doesn't really have that option, I think.
That's one reason I don't use these bars anymore. I have noodles on my tour bike and like the bar tops as well.
Anyway I run bullhorns on my Steamroller now with a cross lever activating the front brake.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well there you go. :)

I have bullhorns on my TT bike and certainly don't find myself reaching down to those, choosing to stay in aero. Of course the head tube on my TT bike is crazy low, so there could be more to me 'not liking' the bullhorns than just, the bullhorns.

I'll try the Albatros, as planned. I have a "fake" Albatross on an old Schwinn mixtie that I may try first with one cheap lever. If I don't like it I suppose a drop bar it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.