Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the standard for setting up the brakes on a road bike?

Looking at all the Tour de France photos, it looks like the standard is for the front brake to be connected to the left hand lever.

Although I noticed Cadel Evans seemed to have the front brake on the right hand lever.

How should I set-up my bike? I cannot remember which side I am familiar with.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Set it up whichever way suits you. By tradition, countries that drive on the left side of the road e.g. UK, Japan, Australia, have the front brake lever on the right side. Countries that drive on the right side of the road e.g. China, France, USA have the front brake lever on the left side.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it be correct to assume that the majority of riders would have the front brake on the left hand side?

It looks like the design of road brakes is set-up for the standard of front brake on the left side. The path of the cable seems to suit the cable connection on the right side of the front brake.

·
Registered
190 Posts
sml said:
Would it be correct to assume that the majority of riders would have the front brake on the left hand side?
Worldwide - Yes. Locally - Depends where you live.

It looks like the design of road brakes is set-up for the standard of front brake on the left side. The path of the cable seems to suit the cable connection on the right side of the front brake.
Cable paths for bikes with the front brake lever on the right are fine.

... and then if you have a modern motorcycle / quad then you'll find that the front brake lever is on the right, irrespective of where you live.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Back when everybody had centerpull brakes, it didn't make a difference. Now, it's easier to set up a bike with the front on the left. If you really want to do it the other way, you can still do it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you're a motorcyclist...

The front brake on the right makes sense for consistency. A couple of guys I ride with have motorcycles as well and prefer their front brake setup to mirror their "iron horses".

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,049 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
The reason the front brake is on the right side for countries that drive on the left side is this....when signalling right your left arm will be left on your rear brake which is more easily to control then the front....and vice versa for other countries. ie If your riding on the right side and need to signal left your right arm is left on your rear brake.........left right left right left right, i know, ive confused myself but its true.

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
steven ward said:
The reason the front brake is on the right side for countries that drive on the left side is this....when signalling right your left arm will be left on your rear brake which is more easily to control then the front....and vice versa for other countries. ie If your riding on the right side and need to signal left your right arm is left on your rear brake.
I don't understand why people post without reading, understanding, and responding to earlier messages in (at least) the thread.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
steven ward said:
The reason the front brake is on the right side for countries that drive on the left side is this....when signalling right your left arm will be left on your rear brake which is more easily to control then the front....and vice versa for other countries. ie If your riding on the right side and need to signal left your right arm is left on your rear brake.........left right left right left right, i know, ive confused myself but its true.
The words you were looking for were 'correct' and 'remains.'... Right?

·
Custom Title= ?
785 Posts
My Standard...

sml said:
What is the standard for setting up the brakes on a road bike?
When I was slightly less ancient (about a million years ago) and road bikes had about half as many gears as today’s bikes, the thought occurred to swap brake levers on the thumb shifter equipped MTB from the left/front standard. This facilitated braking with the left hand while downshifting with the right when approaching intersections. It stuck and carried over when STI became available a generation later.
It seems so quaint now that riders can't be bothered to stop for traffic controls….
<o></o>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.