Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,:)
I stopped by my LBS yesterday and asked how much it would be to replace all my cables and housing's with parts and labor it would come to $100.00 is this to much to pay for ? The bike is a 2008 Fuji Touring bike with cantilever and center pull brakes.
The reason I was asking was I thinking of doing the job myself and have not looked around for prices for the cables and housing.
The LBS will use stainless steel cables as well as that is what I would use.
I am trying to learn to work on my own bike and have done other work and I am mechanical inclined and love working on the bike. It doesn't look like this would be a hard job however the part I am worried about is the shift cables it's STI .Would I have to make sure the shift cables are stretched as much as possible ? Also would I have any trouble making sure FD & RD are set right ? Is there anything I need to know about this ?
Any help would be more then appreciated here and thank you for your time.:)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I am trying to learn to work on my own bike and have done other work and I am mechanical inclined and love working on the bike
If this is all true, then you should do it yourself. Take your time, read stuff if necessary (Park Tool website, Sheldon Brown, Zinn book, ect.), and do the job. The adjustment issues you are worrying about are not that daunting, and anyway, you need to learn to handle that stuff if you want to work on your bikes. You'll be a better rider when you know how to keep your bike in top shape.

Go for it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I say go for it and DIY. All you should need are some allen wrenches, cable/housing cutter and pliers. Download the manuals for your shifters/derailleurs and cut the new housing to the same length as the old. Maybe take a couple pics of how the cables/housing are routed before taking the old stuff off, so you don't get stuck figuring out how to route it this first time. I'd just emulate what's already there the first time and replace exactly as is.

No need to pre-stretch the cables. Just make sure your barrel adjusters on the cable stops near your head-tube are turned in almost all the way as you can use them later to take up any slack from cables stretching on the road. You can probably do the whole job in 20 or 30 minutes the first time, but don't rush it enjoy the process. For $100 or less you can buy the tools you need as well as the new cables/housing and some new bar tape to finish off things when you're done.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JCavilia said:
If this is all true, then you should do it yourself. Take your time, read stuff if necessary (Park Tool website, Sheldon Brown, Zinn book, ect.), and do the job. The adjustment issues you are worrying about are not that daunting, and anyway, you need to learn to handle that stuff if you want to work on your bikes. You'll be a better rider when you know how to keep your bike in top shape.

Go for it.
JCavilia,
Thia is what I was thinking and I just bought the book from Zinn and yes I agree I would be a better rider when I know how to fix my own bike.:D
Thank you for taking the time to answer my post.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kristatos said:
I say go for it and DIY. All you should need are some allen wrenches, cable/housing cutter and pliers. Download the manuals for your shifters/derailleurs and cut the new housing to the same length as the old. Maybe take a couple pics of how the cables/housing are routed before taking the old stuff off, so you don't get stuck figuring out how to route it this first time. I'd just emulate what's already there the first time and replace exactly as is.

No need to pre-stretch the cables. Just make sure your barrel adjusters on the cable stops near your head-tube are turned in almost all the way as you can use them later to take up any slack from cables stretching on the road. You can probably do the whole job in 20 or 30 minutes the first time, but don't rush it enjoy the process. For $100 or less you can buy the tools you need as well as the new cables/housing and some new bar tape to finish off things when you're done.
Kristatos,
I have decided to DMS and get the experience and I am only going to do one cable and housing at a time.
:( The one thing is I just did my first handlebar wrap and now know I need to un wrap:eek:
to get at the cables and housings but I don't mind this is how you learn and next time I will know better.:D
Thank you for taking the time to answer my post.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Cables change is not difficult. BicycleTutor.com is a good resource as well as parktool.com
Lots of youtube videos on this subject.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
|3iker said:
Cables change is not difficult. BicycleTutor.com is a good resource as well as parktool.com
Lots of youtube videos on this subject.
3iker,
Thank you I have those websites bookmarked.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Definately do it yourself, and definately get a cable/housing cutter. I've done it with regular pliers and it doesn't work well. You can ream out the hole with an awl, but still doesn't work nearly as well as the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AtlantaR6 said:
Definately do it yourself, and definately get a cable/housing cutter. I've done it with regular pliers and it doesn't work well. You can ream out the hole with an awl, but still doesn't work nearly as well as the right tool for the job.

Thank you for your response and what would you or anyone else here recommend as far as cable/housing cutters goes ? Which brand ?

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
As for cable cutters get the Park Tool ones. Cutting tools is one thing you don't want to skimp on. They provide a very clean and precise cut, which is what you need when installing new cables.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
ezdoesit said:
Thank you for your response and what would you or anyone else here recommend as far as cable/housing cutters goes ? Which brand ?
Someone would have to pry my Felco cutters out of my cold dead hands to get them from me.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I brought my cable housings in, asked for a new set cut to their sizes + ferrules + cables.

Housings were $2/ft with ferrules, cables were $4 each. Spent ~$25 in the end.

Of course, I didn't get majorly awesome cool housings. However, I just peeped another thread exhibiting the use of Nokon housings to route non-internally-routed housings internally. Do want.

·
9,790 Posts
In my shop:
Cables (SS, slick) $3/each
Housing $1.50/foot
Ferrules, cable tips $0.00
Labour $10.00/pair - ie: $10 for both brake cables, $10 for both shift cables.

So, $32 + housing.

As for cable cutters...

I hate almost everything Shimano. Pedals and cable cutters are the exceptions.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I wanted to thank everyone for answering my questions.

So Thank You.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts