Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 questions. Basically, I am trying to upgrade my brakes stopping power.

1. My Bianchi has Shimano 105 5700 10sp levers, but Reparto Corse RC-471 Calipers. Can I replace the calipers with Shimano 105 5800 11sp models?
  2. If I simply want to upgrade the pads for the Reparto Corse calipers, which pads are required? The current pads do have the screw.

·
Registered
157 Posts
1. Yes.

2. New pads will help with stopping. If it has the screw they are "Shimano compatible" Properly adjusted pads will make the biggest difference. You should also clean the braking surface on your wheels regularly.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Do not buy the 5800 brakes, buy the 5700 or 6700 brakes, the ones designed to work with the levers you have.

5700 and 5800 are two different technologies.

5700 is Super SLR. 5800 is SLR-EV.

The 5700/6700 brakes with come with the pads you want, they work great and have the screw and all of that.

Also, when setting up brakes, I recommend this:

I find it's better for most people, trusting yourself or someone else to do it perfectly by eye + business cards or whatever usually doesn't go that well.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Try new pads before you spend any more money on levers or calipers. Get some KoolStop Shimano-compatible pads. They will make a bigger difference than any other hardware change.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Different technology between 5700 and 5800 one would think would be in the shifting, not the cable brake pulling? The Jagwire tool looks beneficial. May try the Kool Stops first as I have had good luck with them for Campy replacements. Thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.